Superheroes Wake Up Early

So waking up at four AM to the jarring cry of his alarm isn't really a surprise for Jay

So waking up at four AM to the jarring cry of his alarm isn't really a surprise for Jay. What does startle him is waking up to the sound of songbirds outside the thin metal walls of the RV.

It takes him a moment to catch up with last nights events. He needs to go, he doesn't have much time. Quickly, before Gannet stirs, Jay turns off the alarm on his phone. He sits up—

"Oof!" A pair of glowing pink hands swiftly pulls Jay back into bed. Gannet has shifted into Stygian unconsciously, holding Jay hostage with superhuman strength.

"I thought you were asleep," Jay wheezes.

"I am." Stygian snores, eyes still closed.

Jay smiles, sweeping Stygian's bangs from his face. "So you're sleep-talking?"

"I usually wake up first."

"Uh...?""

"Not all of me is awake. Gannet is asleep."

Jay blinks. "Wait, so is it like a dolphin thing? Half your brain is awake?"

"Something like that."

"That's pretty fucking cool. So you're not—integrated right now, or what?

Stygian smiles. "We're still integrated. Our oneness has little moments of fracture sometimes. "

"So it's normal?"

"As long as it's not a full separation. He's subconsciously aware right now. Just barely."

"Is he dreaming?"

"Yes."

"What's he dreaming of?"

"This moment. But in his dream you're telling him about a camping trip."

Jay flushes. That's so fucking cute. "Well if you're awake you can let me go."

The iron grip on Jay's midriff tightens. "Don't go yet. Stay a little longer."

"Hey!"

"You're not allowed to leave me yet."

Jay surrenders to the superhuman bear hug, taking a deep breath and going lax in the tight embrace. He marvels at how much he enjoys the squeeze—if it was anyone else holding him, he would be fighting tooth and nail to get away. But with Gannet it feels centering, not claustrophobic. Like Stygian is holding him together at the seams.

"I don't think I've ever talked to just one side of you before," Jay whispers.

"Do you want to ask me anything?"

"Who fell in love first? You, or Gannet?"

"Me. Definitely me," Stygian giggles, snuggling into Jay's chest. "Back at Netscie, they made us memorize all the supers in texas—I thought you were cute."