5. Company

In the company of Fern, strolling through the hallways provided a delightful opportunity to appreciate the intricacies of the pack house in daylight.

The halls boasted exquisite dark oak floors and walls adorned in a vibrant green cream, creating a harmonious balance throughout the space.

As Fern halted in front of the door, she directed her attention towards me, her gaze brimming with reassurance.

"There will be numerous pack members inside, but rest assured that my brother is here, so you are in safe hands," she said cheerfully.

  Acknowledging her words with a subtle nod, I watched as she pushed the door open.

Upon stepping inside, my eyes scanned the dining hall, taking note of the arrangement within.

The elongated space accommodated three expansive tables placed vertically, while a solitary table took its place horizontally towards the rear, where Adonis held court.

The ambiance was a blend of hushed anticipation and muted conversations, setting the tone for what was to unfold.

The room seemed to hold its breath, awaiting the commencement of the gathering.

Fern's presence beside me provided a sense of grounding amidst the sea of faces, her confidence serving as a pillar of support.

With a deep breath, I braced myself for the interactions that lay ahead, knowing that Adonis's presence offered a semblance of security in the midst of the unknown.

As I navigated through the sea of scrutinizing gazes, I felt a ripple of unease coursing through me, manifesting as goosebumps on my skin.

  The weight of all those eyes fixed on me felt palpable, making it hard to draw a steady breath.

With composure that belied my inner turmoil, I followed Fern's discreet guidance to the back of the room, where a sense of relief washed over me as I took a seat.

Adonis, greeted me with a warm smile that momentarily eased my nerves.

However, the hushed tones and furtive glances exchanged among the other guests only served to heighten my sense of discomfort.

Ignoring the covert whispers that seemed to swirl around me, I focused on the task at hand.

  My attention was momentarily diverted when a diligent cook appeared behind me, delicately setting a plate before me.

The tantalizing aroma of the meal wafted up, revealing a tempting array of meatloaf, glazed baby carrots, and creamy mashed potatoes, expertly arranged to please both the eyes and the palate.

  Fern's soft voice provided a discreet explanation of the dish, grounding me in the moment amid the swirling undercurrent of speculation and intrigue.

Inhaling the aroma wafting from the plate incited saliva to gather in my mouth, a stark contrast to the unappetizing fare I had been accustomed to.

  Adonis interrupted the moment by clearing his throat, prompting me to meet his gaze. "I am pleased that you were able to rest. I trust you are feeling somewhat improved," he uttered serenely, giving my shoulder a reassuring pat before rising to his feet.

"May I introduce Abby. She will be temporarily residing with our pack. I kindly request that all extend a warm welcome and treat her with kindness, acknowledging her as our honored guest," he proclaimed, addressing the assembly authoritatively.

Due to this directive, there was a collective display of respect as everyone lowered their heads in acknowledgment.

Fern, exuding warmth, offered a comforting smile while gently massaging my other shoulder, as her brother settled back to eat his meal.