16. Un-met faces

After Sebastian and I had a heated dispute, we ended up sitting together in the dining room eating our food in silence.

I couldn't bear his aggressive behavior towards every little thing I did - the man was toxic.

We hadn't spoken to each other since our argument in his office, and honestly, I had no desire to.

To make things even more uncomfortable, there were two other men seated on the other side of the table.

One of them seemed to be with his mate, and the other kept glancing at me intermittently.

At one point, the man finally spoke up, directing his question at Sebastian, "So, who is this?"

Without missing a beat, Sebastian responded, "This is Evelyn Willow," causing me to raise an eyebrow in surprise.

Before I could interject, Sebastian let out a low growl, shutting me up immediately.

This whole situation was becoming more bizarre by the minute, and I couldn't wait to get out of here.

In between my chewing, I casually looked at the two guys in front of me and asked, "So, who are you dudes?" I know it's not the most polite way to ask, but it's just a habit of mine.

The blonde guy with blue eyes and his mate straightened up as I continued to chew. "I'm Charlie, Sebastian's beta," the blonde guy declared with confidence.

Little did he know, I've been around here all along. I simply nodded in response to his introduction.

The other man one rolled his eyes at them and then gazed at me, his brown eyes meeting mine as he extended his hand.

  "My name is Parris Sallow, I'm the third in command," he stated. I swallowed uncomfortably as I forced a smile and shook his hand.

The feeling of hunger dissipated as I pushed my plate to the side. "It's nice to meet you Charlie and Parris," I said softly.

I sensed Sebastian's eyes burning into the side of my face, fueling my growing anger at being seated at a table with someone who shares my last name.

Time moved fast after that. Charlie talked to his mate quietly as Parris and I got to know each other.

  Soon, they finished their meal and left, leaving me at the table with Sebastian.

I sighed, stood to my feet, and stated, "I'm going to my room now," not looking at Sebastian.

"You can't ignore me," he said lowly. I turned and looked at him with a glare.

  "Don't you dare start with this. You locked me up in the attic for years," I growled.

"And I have a brother. Are you a fucking idiot? I can ignore you until the day I'm dead and still ignore you as my body rots," I finished.

Sebastian maintained his silence, displaying a lack of amusement towards my anger.

He casually stated, "Your brother will soon realize the truth about you; I prefer not to address it during dinner."

  I responded with a scoff, shaking my head, and bluntly told him, "You are truly a selfish bastard." Subsequently, I departed the room, forcefully slamming the door behind me.

Approaching the room I had to reluctantly occupy, I made sure to maintain my composure despite the curious looks from passersby.

I accidentally bumped into someone, causing them to grab my arm. "I'm sorry," I apologized softly, meeting their gaze. Suddenly, I recognized the person as Parris.

"Parris?" I exclaimed, a bit surprised by the unexpected encounter.

He glanced around before returning his attention to me, saying, "My bad, I assumed you spotted me." He chuckled lightly. "I apologize, I'm fairly new here, so everything is still sinking in," I admitted honestly.

"Where are you headed?" he inquired.

  "I'm heading towards a guest room where I'll be staying," I replied with a smile.

Parris raised an eyebrow, "You're Sebastian's mate, and he has you in the guest bedroom?" he asked as he walked alongside me down the hallway.

"Well, it's better than the attic, don't you think?" I remarked quietly.

  Hearing my remark, Parris chuckled awkwardly "Yes, that would indeed be odd. Sebastian can be quite challenging to comprehend." He commented, This caused me to nod in agreement.

"You have no idea," I replied, before making my way to my room.

As Parris stood there staring at me, I jokingly remarked, "Staring is considered rude."

He quickly looked away and apologized, "I'm sorry, you just remind me of someone I knew."

Raising my eyebrow, I took in his words, "And who would that be?" He shook his head, "Eh, you wouldn't know her," Parris said, making me smile.

"Try me," I insisted as he looked around a bit shyly.

  "No one else is here, silly," I laughed, as someone huffed behind us.

I jumped as I turned around, only to see Sebastian standing there with his arms crossed. I rolled my eyes, looking at Parris.

"Well, I'll talk to you later," Parris said as smiled with a nod and left.

"I see you're always up to no good," he said walking up to me.

  I crossed my arms, matching his stance. "What do you want?" I said, moving in front of him.

"To see if you were where you said you were," he said simply. I clicked my tongue while rolling my eyes.

"I appreciate your concern," I said calmly as he approached me, his breath gently brushing my face as he met my gaze, stirring up my emotions.

"I wanted to ensure everything was alright," he murmured softly, tilting my chin up with his finger to meet his eyes.

  "I have been observing you closely since you gained your freedom, and I've noticed your playful nature. We can continue this chase, but I will always be the one to catch you," he finished, leaning in closer to whisper by my ear, sending shivers down my spine as the mate bond pulsed with unspoken words of connection.

I put force on his chest, creating a physical barrier between us.

With determination in my voice, I uttered, "We will see about that," before turning away and retreating into the sanctuary of my room.

Leaning against the door, I slowly slid down it, enveloped in a cloud of contemplation.

As I pondered my predicament, the question loomed large in my mind: what steps could I possibly take to extricate myself from this situation?