12. To the towns

Lauerant's booming voice reverberated across the expanse of the field, cutting through the tension in the air like a knife.

His unwavering dedication to training me for the past few days was evident in the way my muscles screamed in protest with every step I took to my left, away from the formidable presence of Azra, Icarus's imposing sister.

Azra bore a striking resemblance to her brother, both in appearance and in the sheer determination that glinted in her eyes as she advanced towards me.

Her towering height granted her a significant advantage, casting a shadow over my own efforts.

Under Laurent's watchful gaze, I knew that every move I made held the weight of his expectations.

As I pivoted away from Azra, I could feel the sweat trickling down my temples, my heart pounding with adrenaline.

This wasn't just a physical test; it was a mental battle as well, a test of my resolve and perseverance under pressure.

Lauerant's words echoed in my ears, driving me to push myself beyond my limits.

I made a quick movement and leaped onto Azra, bringing her down and then restraining her by placing my arm against her throat as she signaled submission by tapping the ground.

I released her and then positioned myself lying on my back next to her, breathing heavily.

"Wow, you guys seem exhausted," Lauerant commented as he approached us with his arms folded.

"You're definitely improving your stamina," he noted.

I let out a groan and wiped my sweaty forehead as I glanced up at him.

"Oh, great. Nothing like sweating buckets every day," I said with a hint of sarcasm, as I sat up.

Lauerant chuckled softly while helping Azra and me back up. "Let's wrap it up for today, we've been out for quite a while," he suggested.

I glanced at Icarus joining us, wrinkling his nose jokingly. "Ew, you stink!" he teased.

I playfully hit his arm. "Like you never have a hint of sweat on you," I retorted, giving him a playful glare.

"Believe me, Icarus can get pretty ripe; this guy can sweat like a snowman in August," Azra quipped casually, causing Icarus to burst into laughter. 'Oh man, that stings!'

"What time is it anyway?" I asked icarus.

Icarus glanced at his phone and cheerfully responded, "It's 4:00 PM," as we all headed back to the pack house.

  Realizing I had time to take a shower before joining lunch, I exclaimed excitedly, "Good, I'm starving!" and rushed to the door.

Following my shower, I carefully selected a white summer dress and elegantly styled my hair into a half-up hairdo before proceeding to the dining hall.

As I approached the table and seated myself, I noticed the curious gazes directed towards me. Confused, I furrowed my brows and asked, "Is there an issue?"

Fern responded with a smile, "Not at all, you simply appear lively today," she remarked as she took a bite of her sandwich.

I chuckled as I received my plate, playfully rolling my eyes.

"Well, the afternoon exercises are a good way for me to energize myself," I explained between bites of my own sandwich.

"Exciting news!" exclaimed Icarus, pausing to munch on his chips. "Guess what's coming up?" he asked with a mischievous grin.

Confused, I looked at him, only to see him raise his eyebrows expectantly.

Fern couldn't contain her excitement and gasped, adding, "It's the full moon! But wait, that's not all - we have a huge party planned!" Her joyful tone made me curious.

"A party for the full moon?" I
questioned.

Fern nodded, beaming. "Exactly! It used to be a time for young wolves to find their mates, but now it's just a fun celebration for the entire pack, complete with dressing up!" I nearly choked on my chips upon hearing about dressing up.

Sensing my concern, Fern quickly reassured me, "Don't worry, we're going shopping after lunch!"

"Is this party an every full moon party?" I asked, finishing my lunch.

  Fern nodded, "Yeah, it's something we do. We are at our strongest then, especially with our beast side," she said casually.

"Having a party is a healthier way of being grumpy and on edge, right?" She laughed while standing up.

I nodded, understanding what she meant, as I looked over at Icarus. "Are you coming dress shopping too?" I said. He looked at me, leaning over. "I want to be the best dressed," he whispered.

"In a dress?" I joked. He furrowed his eyebrows. "Please, I'm not made for that. I'm made for a satin tux," he said, rolling his eyes.

"A satin tux?" I asked skeptically.

Icarus just chuckled, "No way, I gotta snag a new one that's tailored," he explained.

As he stood up, I followed suit.

"Ugh, I'm not ready for this long trip on a full stomach," I complained from the back as they exchanged a look.

"What do you mean?" Fern asked as we headed down the stairs. "I am so not in the mood for a jog," I stated as Fern pulled out her phone.

  "We're not jogging, silly. I don't feel like it either," she giggled.

Suddenly, a huge metal contraption rolled our way.

  "What on earth is that?" I exclaimed, stepping closer to Icarus out of fear.

  "It's a car. It's how we're getting to town," Icarus replied, nudging me towards it.

After it came to a stop, he ushered me in, buckled me up, and flashed a grin as he took the driver's seat.

Fern sat beside me, securing her seatbelt too. The car hummed to life, causing me to grip the handle in discomfort.

"We're heading to the mall in Eastwood," Fern informed the driver. He nodded and we were on our way.

As we kept driving, I noticed that the number of trees dwindled, and the landscape started to change.

  It felt like we were leaving the greenery behind and entering a different world.

Suddenly, I spotted a massive white sign with bold letters that read 'Welcome to Eastwood.' That's when I realized we had arrived in the town we were heading towards.

The town was bustling with activity, and I couldn't help but gaze out the window, taking in all the sights and sounds.

People were out and about, shops were open, and there was a lively energy in the air that was infectious.

I could see colorful storefronts, quaint cafes, and even a park with children playing.

It was a stark contrast to the quiet forest we had left behind, and I couldn't wait to explore this new place.

The car turned, parking next to another one as the purring died. 

"We're here," Fern said loudly, unclicking me and herself. "Let's go get some dresses!" she exclaimed, getting out.

I smiled, following Icarus and Fern into the so-called mall.