Chapter Four: Hostage

The truck finally lurched to a stop

The truck finally lurched to a stop. I was flung forward into the passenger seat making me grunt out in pain. Blindly, I tried to get myself back in the seat when I heard two of the doors open and then slam shut. Moments later, my door was ripped open and hands grabbed my arm, pulling me out into the cold night air.

"Let's go." A distorted voice ordered, pulling me so that I was following him. I couldn't stop the tears from falling down my cheeks and pooling on the fabric around my mouth.

The entire ride to wherever it is we are I secretly prayed for a car crash or to be pulled over by the police. I imagined it was Nick who pulled us over, saw that I was kidnapped and he jumped into action like a super hero, taking out the bad guys and saving me. I'm apparently of some interest to him and the investigation. Would me not showing up to our meeting prompt him to look into it right away and see that I'm missing?

I could barely hear any cars around, the only road noise I heard seemed far away. I heard the crunching of gravel and what sounded like broken glass under my shoes while we walked on. The only thing I could smell besides whatever gross oder was on the fabric around my head was the smell of a campfire.

A hand was placed on my back just as a door was pulled open. I was pushed forward, the momentum making me stumble. I could tell I was inside a building, the wind was no longer nipping at me, instead I could hear it howling from outside

More glass crunched and broke under my feet while we continued to walk. Our footsteps echoed through the building. Again we stopped, this time I could see two glowing circles in front of us. I heard my captor press one of the glowing circles which made a ding sound. I jumped out of my skin from the noise, not expecting it. The familiar sound of sliding doors spread open to my left, light pouring out.

An elevator?

He shoved me inside, making me lose my balance. I tried to catch myself but my ankle rolled and I fell to the ground landing on my knees. Hissing through grated teeth, I felt whatever debris on the ground tear through my jeans, cutting the skin on my knees. My ankle felt like it was on fire from contorting in an unnatural angle.

The elevator doors closed behind me and with a loud mechanical whirring sound, I felt the car being lifted up. My sob filled the closed space.

The elevator stopped with a jolt and another loud ding. Hands grabbed my arms and righted me before I was thrown out. I floundered, trying to catch my balance but I blindly crashed into what felt like a desk or maybe a half wall. My ribs hit against whatever hard surface this was and I could feel some of the air being knocked from my lungs.

I coughed, struggling to take a deep breath. Another sob raked through my body from the pain and how helpless I truly felt in the hands of this animal.

"Stop fucking crying!" He shouted. Again, hands latched onto me and pulled me so I was standing on wobbly legs. I could see halogen lights shinning through the material still covering my face.