Chapter Twelve: Feelings

The snow had started to really pick up on my way home and by the time I pulled into the driveway I found my spot was already hidden under a blanket of white

The snow had started to really pick up on my way home and by the time I pulled into the driveway I found my spot was already hidden under a blanket of white. I also saw Jay's Sable was again taking up Mark and Edith's spot. None of the other guys were here, Joes' Civic was gone and I didn't see Chris or Connors' cars parked along the street.

An uncomfortable feeling of dread and panic came over me. I took my bag from the passenger seat of the car and dug through it, searching blindly for the pack of cigarettes and a lighter. With everything that's happened to me in the last week the idea of quitting was out the window.

Lighting the cigarette, I pulled my hood over my head and hurried out of the car. I hadn't seen him outside and I wasn't about to sit here and risk him coming out. Not while I was completely alone. Jogging towards the steps I must have slipped a dozen times making snow spill into my flats, soaking my feet. I had just made it to the first step when I heard him calling out my name.

Turning like an idiot, I saw him coming towards me. Cigarette hanging from his lips that turned up in a slimy smile. I had never felt so disgusted in my life. My stomach churned and I wanted nothing more than to rip my skin off when the memories of his touch started to burn my skin.

"Long time no see."

Run. Why aren't you running?

"What do you want?" I snapped.

He threw his hands up in a surrendering motion. "Hey, hey, hey, I'm just saying it's been a while."

I glared at him, letting the smoke out from my lungs and directed it in his face.

"Where's the boyfriend?" He asked, his tone sarcastic.

That was a good question. I hadn't heard from Declan since he urged me to go into Mike's office which made me all the more scared. Now that I had been found out, he was the only one who could remotely protect me and now he's gone radio silent.

"He's on his way so I think you should be going, unless you want to get your ass kicked. He doesn't like to share." I lied flawlessly, a first.

Jay couldn't help but laugh. "Fucker doesn't scare me."

"Mmm, whatever you say." I scoffed, breathing out more smoke. I was shaking so badly and not from the cold. I wanted this whole encounter to end. Finally willing myself to move, I started up the steps when his hand wrapped around my wrist, holding me in place.

I couldn't help the whimper that escaped my lips. I could feel my heart leap into my throat. I started to disassociate from the world around me, becoming uncomfortably numb. Everything felt like it was miles away, like I was viewing this whole scene as a third person.

Just before Jay could say anything we both heard a vehicle making its way up the driveway. Jays' hand gripped tighter on me, dragging me back to reality.