Chapter Nine: Evidence

The smell of fresh brewed coffee filled my apartment while I was busy putting away the groceries I had delivered

The smell of fresh brewed coffee filled my apartment while I was busy putting away the groceries I had delivered. The shopper made sure to make backhanded comments about me being lazy when I met her to help bring the bags up the three flights of stairs. Little did she know, my car was taken and still in the hands of some felon, mobster douched bag.

Taking a mug from the cupboard, I poured myself a cup. I knew I would live to regret this later tonight when it would be impossible for me to fall asleep. It was already two in the afternoon. I had over slept again, a recurring theme the past few days. Once my normal amount of milk was added I gulped down as much as I could handle without burning my mouth, humming as the hot liquid made it's way down, warming me as it went.

Declan's face flashed behind my closed eyes, forcing them to open. Anxiety swallowed me while I mentally relived the events of the last few days. I've had moments of peace where I forget about what had happened but then the violent images of being kidnapped, threatened and almost raped flood my thoughts. I'd been trying to convince myself it was all a bad dream. If it wasn't for the fading bruises all over my body, I might have actually believed myself.

It's been three days and no sign, call, text message, hell- not even an email from Declan. Not that I wanted the man around but wondering when he was going to show up next had me on edge.

"This is insane..." I scoffed, shaking my head. I ran my fingers through my dirty hair before turning on my heal and heading towards my room, coffee in hand. Once in my room I set my coffee down on the dresser and grabbed a sweatshirt from my closet, pulling it over my head. Slipping into my grey converse, I grabbed my keys and headed towards the door. I needed to go for a walk to clear my head.

My fingers gripped the handle of my door but before I could twist the handle it was opening towards me with such force that it almost knocked me over. Instantly my heart dropped from my chest into my stomach when my eyes focused on the tall mass of muscle that stood in my doorway with a copy of my key in between his fingers.

Declan towered over my slowly hunching frame, a smile tugging at the sides of his lips. "Going somewhere?"

I took a step back trying to get some distance between us but he took it as an invitation in to my room. Declan snatched the keys from my hand and tossed them onto my dresser, knocking over my picture frames and used his boot to kick the door closed behind him.

Sucking in my bottom lip, I bit down to try and calm my nerves. Declan's smile turned into a devious smirk as he watched me hold my lip in between my teeth. I could feel my cheeks turning red, quickly making me let my now swollen lip go from the hold my teeth had on it.

"W-what," I croaked out before clearing my throat to steady my nerves. "What are you doing here?" I questioned, running my fingers through my hair.

Declan walked past me, letting his shoulder gently brush into mine as he went. The smell of sandalwood filled my nostrils. My eyes closed while I took in a deep breath, savoring one of my favorite smells that would now forever be jaded, always reminding me of him. Finding him again once I opened my eyes, I saw him taking a long drink from my coffee mug. Studying his face, I saw that the stubble that decorated his face a few days ago was now gone, leaving him clean-shaven.