Chapter Seventeen: The Atlantic

Work was miserable

Work was miserable. Alex avoided me like the plague which I thanked God for. I wasn't ready to see him face to face. Uncle Mike was in and out of closed door meetings with "clients". Though now that I know what's actually going on I feel like such an idiot for not seeing things for what they really are sooner. Now that my eyes are open I can clearly see all of the writing on the walls.

I threw my bag onto my bed and kicked off my flats in the general direction of my closet. The tension between everyone at work was so heavy that I feel like I ran a 5k marathon, I was physically and mentally drained. Thankful that I'm off tomorrow, I headed down my hallway to my kitchen so I could pour myself a glass of wine.

I stopped dead in my tacks when I saw a new glass top dining table and plush white and black chairs where my cheap, beat up table from Target once was. I looked back in my room and then the bathroom to see if someone was still inside my apartment. When I walked into my kitchen I was met with another surprise, my cabinet door had been fixed.

I rushed out of the small kitchen and turned into my living room, my heart racing but like the other rooms it was empty. Letting out a sigh, I shook the feeling of being disappointed that he wasn't here, lounging on my couch waiting for me with a snarky comment.

I need a drink.

Honestly, what was I expecting after the last few days? Our little make out session, the strip club with my impromptu tease were I was practically eye fucking him and then yesterday, the cuddling followed by him admitting to killing people and I respond by hugging him and telling him I was happy he was still alive. Did I think he was going to just magically confess he had actual feelings for me? I couldn't be more of a naive idiot. He doesn't have feelings for me. I'm just collateral. Hell, I don't even think I'm that. Collateral would imply that I am worth something to either side.

Still, I had to fight with myself to not send him a picture of my new table and say thank you. The table most likely bought with dirty money, I thought sarcastically

"Ugh!" I face palmed myself before turning on my heel and heading to the bathroom.

After taking a long bath with a glass of wine, I put on some plaid pajama pants and a black cami. I had a random playlist on shuffle blasting through an old bluetooth speaker that I was carrying with me as I danced around my apartment, snacking on cucumbers and hummus. My hair was still pinned up in a low messy bun from today but now my bangs had fallen out and were hanging in front of my face from dancing.

"Waterloo! I was defeated, you won the war!" I sang as loud as I could into the half full bottle of wine in my hand. Throwing the speaker onto the arm chair, I ran and jumped up onto my couch, putting my left foot up on the back of the couch. "Waterloo! Promise to love you forever more. Waterloo! Couldn't escape if I wanted to!"

I spun around with my eyes closed and pointed my finger blindly to an imaginary screaming crowd as I sang the next line. "Waterloo! Knowing my fate is to be with you!"