Chapter Seven: Unwanted Company

Stepping into my apartment I scanned my bedroom for Declan... empty. I felt like a rabbit being hunted in my own home. Standing there, I debated if I should close the door behind me, willingly locking myself in this place with a man who claims to be a mafia boss, killer... person. IT was either that or go back down and be around the animal who tried to assault me. A loud thud came from my kitchen making me flinch.

"Declan?" I called out stupidly.

"Close the fuckin' door." He answered back.

I let out a slow breath through parted lips. Some part of me thought he had disappeared, somehow snuck past me while I was speaking with Loey and I didn't notice. I took a half step backwards until my back pressed against the door and put my full weight into it until it closed with a loud click. I stood there for a while longer not wanting to move until Declan came into view, standing in my door frame, drink in hand.

Being in my room and seeing my bed for the first time in days reminded me of how exhausted I was. I hadn't noticed I was staring until I went to look back at Declan in the door frame but found him standing a foot in front of me, looking down into my eyes in what I was finding to be his normal intimidating way. He brought the glass up to his lips, taking a long swig of the amber liquid that filled his glass.

"Want to tell me what that was all about." His voice was low as he spoke before slowly sticking his tongue out and licking the remainder of the liquid from his lips.

"No," I answered, getting angry that he had listened in on the conversation I had with Loey. I went to push past him but his free arm hooked around my torso, holding me in place.

"That wasn't a question." He growled.

"Declan, please I don't want to talk about this." I begged.

"So what, that's the real story, eh? You forced yourself on that kid... Jay was it?" He pressed, the smell of alcohol filling my nostrils.

Tears spilled from my eyes. As I looked around my room the whole thing replayed in my mind in slow motion. I could feel my dignity leaving me. Letting out a sob, I snapped. Pushing him as hard as I could in hopes that he would back off. He growled before letting the glass drop to the floor so he could use both arms to hold me in front of him.

"No!" I blurted out, "H-he tried to rape me," tears flowing down my cheeks. I felt so stupid saying it out loud, especially to him. "He took that stupid pill, the one you think my Uncle pushes and... and," my words were cut short as I tried to catch my breath as I hyperventilated.

Declan's arms moved up to my shoulders, bringing me into his chest for a hug. In that moment, I forgot who this man was and relaxed into his embrace, mimicking him and putting my arms around him. Burying my face into his chest I continued to cry, finally coming to terms with what happened the other night. The harder I cried, the closer Declan held me against him.