Chapter Thirteen: Look What They've Done

When we came out of my apartment I was surprised to see a blacked-out SUV in one of the parking spots instead of Declans' sports car

When we came out of my apartment I was surprised to see a blacked-out SUV in one of the parking spots instead of Declans' sports car. It made sense, though. The snow was now about six inches deep and it wasn't supposed to stop until midday tomorrow.

Finishing up my cigarette, I threw it out of the window that I had cracked open and then quickly pressed the button to close it. I was now frozen from having the cold wind blowing in on me while driving but I needed that cig to help calm my mounting nerves. A violent shiver came over me and I brought my freezing cold cupped hands to my mouth, blowing my hot breath on them in an attempt to warm them up.

Declans' finger moved to the dashboard of the car and pressed one of the buttons. Within seconds I felt my seat starting to heat up. I shoved my hands under my legs to soak up the warmth.

"So uh, what's for dinner? I've never been to any restaurants in the city." I asked in an attempt to start a conversation while also trying my best to not sound awkward. Not that it worked, my voice was way too high pitched and overly excited sounding. In hindsight, maybe that drink wasn't the best idea.

"I don't know. Probably just grab some fast food or something." He answered monotone. Flicking on his turn signal he jerked the SUV into the other lane to get around the car that was going fifteen under the speed limit in front of us.

"Some date." I muttered.

"Oh, I'm sorry, princess. Were you expecting some five star restaurant?" He retorted, side-eying me.

"You were the one who had a temper tantrum about the food I was about to make you and demanded we go out instead." As I spoke, it clicked in my head. The slow, creeping feeling of embarrassment taking over me. Turning, I brought my legs up onto the seat and rested my back against the door so that I was facing him.

"This was never about going out for food, was it?"

Declan smirked. "Well aren't you a sharp one."

I glared up at him for his snide comment. Was I always so oblivious to what was going on in the world around me?

"I have work to do." He finally answered after a long silence.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "Why are you bringing me then?"

Letting both of his hands fall down the sides of the steering wheel and then back up to the top, he let out a sigh. I could see him looking for the words in his head while he scrunched his lips together. Was he nervous about something?

"I saw that Jay was there." He finally responded.

"So?"

He shimmied in his seat, visibly uncomfortable. Why was he so nervous? I haven't known him for very long but every time I had ever been around him he always had this air of pompous, self-confidence about him. It was strange to see him so on edge and fidgeting.