Chapter Six: Back Home

The Queens river bridge was lit up in its normal blue and white lights, illuminating the smog cloud that constantly hung over the city. Declan took the outside lane of the bridge as he passed car after car, speeding down the now clear lane ahead. I looked down at the river below us and saw the reflection of the lights dancing on the water's surface. Small patches of ice were starting to form on the river bank indicating that winter had started to set in.

The street lamps were starting to become farther and farther apart, making the highway darker as we drove on towards New Hope. The traffic from the city was also starting to dissipate leaving us alone on the road.

Pulling my legs up into my chest I wrapped my arms around them, resting my cheek on my knees as I continued to look out of the passenger side window. I was exhausted and all I wanted was to be home, in my bed. I didn't care about my situation anymore. About my Uncle and my step brother or the fact that I'd been kidnapped. I just wanted to be home and to sleep in my own bed. I'd figure it all out later.

If he's even taking me home...

I felt my stomach drop. What if he was taking me some place outside of the city to kill me? I felt my mouth go dry. Looking up and over at Declan I tried to form a sentence, to question what he was actually doing but nothing came. My brain was fried from the lack of sleep and food for however many days I was held prisoner.

Stealing glances of me between looking at the road ahead he must have noticed my sudden uneasiness.

"You want to ask me something?" He asked, looking back at the road ahead. His voice was so different now that he was alone with me. It was like he didn't just have me held hostage and threatened my life.

"Are you actually taking me home or are you going to kill me?" My question seemed to come out at light speed.

Declan let out a laugh, looking back over at me curled up in the seat next to him. "I am actually taking you home, Scarlett." He answered. I hated when he used my name it sounded so condescending.

Resting my head back against the head rest I continued to stare at him. His expression was still hard-nosed as he drove, speeding unnecessarily down the highway. My eyelids felt like they weighed a ton and I found it hard to keep them open with the gentle sway of the car but I kept pushing myself to stay awake incase he was lying.

"Who are you?"

"We've been over this already." He replied quickly, still looking ahead.

I sighed, hugging my legs closer still to my chest. That was stupid, thinking he'd talk. Giving in to the lack of sleep, I closed my eyes.

I heard Declan take in a long breath through his nose and hold it before quickly blowing it back out. I looked up at him to see his hand leave the steering wheel to run it through his hair, tossing his head back against the head rest of his seat. He concentrated on the road for a minute longer before he answered. "I'm the underboss for the Irish mob."