Nostalgia

EVE'S POV

They say New York is the city of dreams.
I felt mine die the minute our plane landed. My dreams withered to dust, faded away like the future I had dreamed and imagined for myself.

It felt unreal to be back in a place that held so many memories for me. Memories that were marred with a certain sadness had grown accustomed to.

Tom's chauffeur had dropped his Mercedes at the airport. He drove us home in it, weaving through the busy streets of New York while I simply stared out the window.

I had worn dark shades to hide the bruise I was sporting just on the side of my face. It was Tom's idea. He always knew the best way to cover up the work of his hands, trying to pass them off as accidents. I suppose almost ten years of marriage was enough practice for him.

When he had suddenly announced that we were coming back to New York, I could swear that I felt my spirit leave me. There was nothing I could do about it. I understood that. He had made the decision to leave without me. Without considering if I wanted to stay. It wasn't anything new, but it made me angry nonetheless.

He whistled to a song on the radio as he parked before the gates of our home. Tall black gates that kept me shackled like a prisoner. Everyone who passed by the gates envied the wife of Tom the millionaire. They all saw his pretty toys; his cars and wealth and wished they were in my shoes.

If my face didn't feel so heavy, perhaps I would have laughed at the thought. I would trade places with anyone , any day. Anything to be away from Tom.

His hands covered mine and I jumped, startled by the sudden movement. I glanced to see him grinning at me as if things between us was all fucking sunshine and rainbows.

"I have to make a quick stop by the office, honey," He informed, leaning closer to me. He placed a kiss on my forehead and I recoiled. He cleared his throat, noticing my reaction and I forced a smile to my lips quickly.

"Okay,"

I didn't want another beating.

I was barely recovering from one.

"Good," He said, obviously pleased with my reply.  "Go freshen up. Make.us something nice to eat. I was thinking we could watch a movie together. What do you say?"

Watch a movie together? Oh no. Fuck no! That could only mean one thing. I trembled when he leaned even closer, his musty breath against my lips. Nineteen year old me would have been excited like a fool. But not now. Not anymore. 

He placed a quick kiss on my lips and chuckled, tucking a curl of my hair behind my right ear.

"Wear something sexy, okay?"

I didn't reply. I couldn't.  What the hell was I supposed to say to that? Yes? No? It was obvious, there was only one correct answer and I couldn't bring myself to say it. Instead I settled for a smile and reached for the car handle.

Aware of Tom's piercing eyes, I stepped out of the car with my bag, gave a bleak smile and a wave before turning around to knock on the gates. Our security guard opened it a few seconds later and I stepped in.

Tom hadn't driven off. He must have wanted to make sure that I went inside our house. And perhaps give the guard special instructions never to let me past that gate.

A prisoner. That was all I was, in my own home.

My heart grew heavier with each step I took towards our home. It was a huge duplex with pearly white walls that loomed high in the evening sun. Tom had it constructed according to my definition of my dream house. Even added a few flowers and trees in the compound to make it exactly how I wanted.