01

The woods seemed to thicken around Madelene, like a comforting embrace. The deeper she ventured, the closer she was to her home, hidden away in the heart of nowhere, Oregon.

The trees welcomed the girl like a familiar friend, she wandered around them daily, knowing every nook and cranny. This was her real home, amongst nature, the most magical place in the world.   

Her feet dragged heavily through a well-known route, her big, black combat boots making branches and leaves crunch under them, making satisfying sounds to the ear. Everything around was letting her know about their presence, the birds were singing making up a soundtrack for her adventure. 

Her shoulders slouched under the heavy straps of her backpack, the seams almost giving up under the weight of school textbooks. But Madelene was taking her time; she never rushed home after school, she didn't really like home. It was more like a prison since her father left, but that was something she wasn't allowed to talk about. 

Oregon autumn was beautiful, the yellow, red, and orange palette was way too pleasant to the eye to just rush past, it almost seemed disrespectful. Witches are naturally drawn to nature, but there's more to it than that. She just loved the quietness and calmness amongst the trees. It was her getaway from the mundane, lonely life she led. 

The raven-haired girl was often a victim of getting lost in her thoughts. It was getting dark now, and she should head home. Making faster steps, she directed herself towards home, when suddenly she heard, just barely, quiet sobs. She had to listen for a moment to make sure it was not the sound of nature, but it was clearly a human cry. 

She looked around, but the sound seemed to be coming from nowhere. "Hello?" she spoke loudly, her voice echoing through the branches of tall trees. Her voice was raspy and far from confident. 

The sound stopped immediately after; it was quiet for what seemed like hours when suddenly a male, pleasant voice, sounded right from behind her.

"You shouldn't walk through those woods alone after dark," he warned, his voice carrying an unmistakable note of caution with a hint of sarcasm. "Who knows what is hiding in here?"

Madelene breathed heavily, scared of the unknown voice. When she fully turned around, there he was. Standing tall, looking down at her with a condescending smile. She recognized Malachai Parker immediately. Son of her coven's leader. He was twenty-two, homeschooled, and a bit of a weirdo. He was banned from all coven activities right after he turned six and hurt Becky Simmons in the magic classes for children taught by his mother. Maddie saw him a few times after that but for the most part, he was an enigma, she knew he existed, but not much more to it. 

She remembered well what her mother said about the boy once, she was eleven years old and saw him sitting far from other kids during one of many coven festivities, a wooden stick in his hand as he scribbled in the sand, he was pretending to do magic, playing all alone, talking to himself. 

"He is a freak of nature, Madelene, don't ever let him touch you."  She said, before taking her daughter's hand and leading her away. 

Madelene, her eyes shining with an otherworldly glow, glanced around nervously. She refused to show weakness; she was a strong witch, perfectly able to protect herself. 

"I'm the scariest thing around," she simply shrugged, grabbing a hold of her backpack straps, trying to make herself more intimidating, straightening her back and correcting her stance. 

Malachai Parker looked at her funny, his gaze sharp and a mischievous grin painted on his face, he looked her right in the eyes as if trying to hold a contest of who looked away first, before he started laughing hysterically. It was so sudden that it made the girl jump, deafening the purpose of trying to look intimidating.