12

It's been three months, three days, five hours, thirsty seven minutes, and eleven seconds since the last time Malachai had any access to magic. He felt like a lunatic wandering around from one corner to another, tapped in his house, like a drug addict looking to get a hit, even the smallest amounts of magic from random objects, all for nothing. His family was as strict as ever, keeping an extremely close eye on his every move.

It's been three months, three days, five hours, thirsty seven minutes, and eleven seconds since Madelene disappeared from their town. The moment Joshua's phone call ended, thirty minutes later she was out of town, out of his life. Just like that, they took everything Malachai Parker cared about.

Kai spent most of his days thinking about her, her big green eyes, her genuine smile, the magic running through her veins with every heartbeat. The way she did not think of him as a monster, the only one who thought of him as equal. 

He Realised her pager was probably taken away, she hadn't responded to any messages he had sent since the very last one.

Are you ok?

They are taking me away Kai.

That was all he knew, they took her away from him.

Days blurred into nights as Kai worked tirelessly, consumed by his singular purpose. His thoughts continually returned to Madelene, her image etched in his mind like a beacon of hope for the future. He couldn't shake the memory of her last message, the haunting words in his head on repeat like a broken record. They can't get away with this, not this time.

Instead, he spent every living moment perfecting his plan, filled with rage and motivation no stronger than ever. Kai scribbled in his notes, trying to figure out how to gather as much magic as possible, and when the timing was right, he would strike, he would make them all regret what he had done to his Madelene.

All of them

It's been three months, three days, five hours, thirsty seven minutes, and eleven seconds since  Caleb showed up for the first time in almost ten years.

He looked different than Madelene remembered. He has salt and pepper hair and a thick beard. Subtle wrinkles and sun damage from working outdoors. 

He had a beat-up, old truck full of construction gear in the back.

He aged well, Vivienne was always known as the one with an extremely handsome husband who left her for mundane, human life. It was not to be spoken of when members of the coven leave, it was taboo, but gossip is everywhere, even amongst stuck-up witches. 

He showed up like it was just another Thursday, looking down at his leather boots, hands on his belt.

"Alright let's go kid" was the only thing he said, he made subtle eye contact with his ex-wife. 

Vivenne's eyes were still burning with fire. She hated him to the core. She hated the humiliation he brought upon their family in the coven.

He never really left far. He was just one town over with his new wife - Caroline, he never had another child. 

The thought of him being so close and never trying to reach out made Madelene's rage almost equal to her mother's. Why was he suddenly here?

Ruining her life, for the second time.

It's been three months, three days, five hours, thirsty seven minutes, and eleven seconds since Madelene climbed into the back seat of her fathers beat up truck and they drove off.