03

"Hey!" Maddie ripped her head up from the school lunch table and looked around confused.

Carly looked concerned at her sleepy friend.

"Are you alright?" almost as on cue the witch yawned loudly

"Wha...Yeah, I'm fine, didn't sleep well that's all" she shrugged her shoulders and allowed her head to plop back on her folded arms.

"Did you finish the algebra homework?" The short-haired blonde asked, taking her colorful folder out of a beige leather bag.

Madelene sighed, no she did not, she was too busy staying up all night thinking of Malachai Parker, and when she finally managed to fall asleep, a terrible nightmare made her terrified to close her eyes back again.

Just by the pout and miserable look on Maddie's face, Carly snored and handed her the homework sheet to copy.

The bell rang, signaling the end of the lunch break. Maddie quickly copied down the algebra homework into her notebook while shoving the last bite of the cafeteria's pizza in her mouth.

As they walked to their next class, Carly glanced at Maddie with a mixture of sympathy and amusement. "You really need to get some sleep, Maddie. You look like you're about to fall asleep standing up."

"I know, I know. I'll try to catch up on some sleep tonight."

Carly bumped her shoulder playfully. " Is there someone taking sleep off your eyelids recently?"

Maddie rolled her eyes "Yeah, my annoying mother"

Carly was not a witch and although they were good schoolmates, she would never dare to tell her anything that could even remotely sound supernatural. It came with great danger, and Carly was too good for any of that. The less she knew about magic the more protected she was. 

Once you enter this hidden part of the world, the vampires, witches, and things that could not even be imagined, the moment you know it seems to be like a magnet for all creatures. She would be in danger. 

"What did Vivianne do this time?" 

"What didn't she do?" Madelene chuckled as they walked into the class. 

Throughout the rest of the day, Maddie struggled to stay awake in her classes. She couldn't shake off the exhaustion weighing on her, yet she felt fear while closing her eyes, the dream was so bizarre. Her heartbeat was suddenly too loud and her legs could not stop moving under the table while thinking about it. Just as the last bell sounded through the building, she waved quickly to Carly and left as fast as possible. She was ready to go to sleep sure, but more than that, she didn't want to run into Charlotte and walk home with her.

Maddie trudged through the door of her house, her exhaustion weighing heavy on her shoulders. The moment she stepped inside, she was greeted by the familiar scent of herbs and incense signaling her mother's presence.

"Madelene?" her mother called from the kitchen, the girl made her way towards the sound and leaned on the kitchen door frame looking at her mother cooking something up on the stove "How was school today?"

Maddie managed a weak smile. "It was okay, just really tired."

Her mother raised an eyebrow, concern evident in her eyes. "You look like you haven't slept in days. Are you feeling alright?"

Maddie nodded, not wanting to worry her mother. "Yeah, just didn't sleep well last night, that's all."

Her mother studied her for a moment before nodding understandingly. "Well, make sure to get some rest tonight. Dinner will be ready soon."