Chapter 18, Anything

Everyday blended into each other, the sun seeming more and more dull the longer I stayed in that place. Ash would sometimes stop by with food and water, never for more than three hours, though. He was always nice, he would commit to small talk when he did come over. He would drop food by and head straight to the locked door. The only locked door in the mansion, and no matter how hard I tried, I could never pick it. I could never look inside it either, it was always pitch black when I tried to snoop. And so I found most of my days in the library, reading any book I could find.

At first, I read books that sounded interesting, but then I ran out of books I liked. So recently I've just been reading whatever I could get my hands on. What felt like a year passed, even though I knew it had only been merely a week. Ash was nice enough to bring more clothes and shoes in my size so I never had to worry about living in the same 3 outfits. He had also started giving me medication, 2 pills a day at lunchtime. He said it would 'help activate my ability' or something along those lines. It had only been a short time since I started taking them, but I already started feeling the effects.

My thoughts were abrupted by Ash arriving back, while I sat in the library reading some random book I found on the top shelf. "I'm home!" He stated, knowing where I would be. The same library, in the same mansion, in the same chair, in the same corner. He handed me the same box with food and the same two pills and left with a silent wave. I felt like I had been hospitalized, trapped in a big white box fed boring food and medication every day. I was starting to feel like I would do anything to be dragged from its metal bars. I ate with a frown, the book laying on my lap. To be honest, I wasn't even reading it anymore. It had bored me to the point I was just looking at the pages and thinking about him, Ciel.

As I chewed the bland peas I thought of the manor, how distraught the servants might be. Maybe where Sebastian and Claude were, were they dead? Perhaps tied off or sent back to Hell? Who knows. I swallowed the pills, both at the same time, honestly just wanting to choke and die on them. But it never happened, I kept living. I flipped the page, just to hear the noise and Ash came downstairs. "Already leaving?" I asked, not looking up from the book. "Oh, no. I want you to have these, I'm done with them anyway." He placed a stack of 9 books on the table beside me, they were all brand new. I peeked my head up and closed the other book quickly.

"I saw you like to read so I thought, why not?" He smiled, "Enjoy your meal." He started walking away but I stopped him, "Where are these from? They're brand new.." I asked, eyeing them. "Oh, I bought them at a bookshop in London. Nothing too expensive. They're just mythology books." He answered. "Mythology books..? Why would an angel be reading mythology books?" I wondered. Before I could ask, he had already left back to the locked room. "I guess it couldn't hurt to read some of it. I'd rather anything than what I'm reading now." I shrugged, finishing my last bite before picking up the first book on the stack.

"Oh, this makes sense, actually..." I thought as I read the title of the first book. "Demons and Other Supernatural Entities" It read. He probably read this to figure out extra detail on demons. That's probably where he figured out how my soul could kill a demon after all. I sighed and opened up the book, starting to read the first section titled "Types of Entities". To say I burned through the book super fast would be an understatement. Learning about divine beings and their hellish counterparts made me understand a lot about Claude, Hannah and the triplets. Though, Sebastian didn't seem to fit some traits the others did.

Sure, he followed almost every rule in the book, but some rules he seemed to bend with his pact with Ciel. To be truthful, he did seem more laid back, but still. I looked out the window, realising Ash had yet to leave. The sun was starting to fall and he was still in that room, was this night different somehow? As I got up and put the book down, Ash conveniently entered the room. "Oh,  there you are.. you're staying extra late I see." I observed aloud as he reached the end of the steps with a smile, wider than his normal one. "This is it, Y/N." He walked over to me and grabbed my hands. I gave a very confused look.