Chapter 7

Adriana's POV

Speaking quietly in a library might break the rules, I get it. But if the chat brings the kind of ease that's hard to come by, then I'd gladly break that rule over and over.

I'm not saying I found Cameron's voice captivating or anything. That wasn't what caught my attention. The real deal was that our conversation veered off-topic. Sometimes, a little deviation from the norm is necessary.

Comfort has been a foreign concept to me since I was a kid. From the age of 8, my sister and I were pretty much alone in our own little world. Our parents were always busy working to keep the family afloat financially. The world we built together was delicate, and could be easily shattered by anyone who didn't realize how much it meant to us.

I had spent the entire day teaching Sophie the material covered in the previous class that she had missed. Not to mention the thirty-minute confrontation over her absence, which started as soon as I left the library. It appears that she has been involved in some family issues that she was hesitant to discuss, and I didn't bother her because I completely respect her privacy.

I got back to my flat at 6 p.m. I pick up my phone and discover something for which I was unprepared.

Cameron and I were all over the university's confession account.

Being in the public eye was the last thing I wanted. I read the comments because I was curious.

"LOL, look at them trying so hard to look cute together. Sorry, but no amount of filters can hide the fact that they're both basic AF. #JustSayin"

WAIT WHAT?!

"I heard he's so desperate for attention, he's just using her to fit in. Classic freshman move."

Okay, this needs to stop. I decided to put down my phone when suddenly a new comment popped up.

"Guess the freshman finally found someone desperate enough to date him. Good luck lasting past midterm season!"

Oo, Mitchell James wrote this.

I turned off my phone and focused on my job shift at Clarke Inc., which had been assigned to me a week before. Before I could present the organised data to Ms. Victoria Reigns, I needed to address all of the business portfolios and the company's productivity analysis.

Two hours had passed, and it was already 8:30 before I had completed all of my work. Although I was tired, I didn't want to go home because I knew I'd read the comments on that post and my calm mind would be disturbed. Unfortunately, I do not have any other options.

I got home, picked up my phone, opened Instagram, and saw the most daring comment on the post, and I was equally as surprised to see who it was from.

"I'd suggest you save your energy for something more productive, but clearly, you're struggling to find any. Maybe take up a hobby that doesn't involve being a jerk?"

The comment came from Cameron directed towards Mitchell.

It felt like a declaration of war, one I never asked to be a part of. Yet, here I was, unwillingly dragged into the midst of it. Now, all I could think about was giving Rebecca Carter a swift uppercut. Unfortunately, physical retaliation wasn't an option. So, why not deliver a virtual blow instead?

"Ah, the popular girl trying to assert dominance. How original. I see your self-esteem is as fragile as your designer handbag. Let me offer you a tissue for those tears and a reality check for that ego. Keep flaunting your insecurity, darling. It's almost as transparent as your fake personality." I type it within 15 seconds. And POST!

I decided to make myself dinner while suddenly I heard continuous notification sound from my phone.

"Adriana's just jealous because she can't handle the popularity and attention like our girl does. Keep crying for attention, hun, but it's falling on deaf ears. #PopularGirlSquad"

"Adriana Wilson's got a lot of nerve acting like she's above it all. Newsflash, sweetie: nobody asked for your opinion. Stick to your own lane and stop trying to stir up drama. #StayInYourLane"

Okay, Fun fact, I can't control my anger.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the leader of the pack and her little minions. The mean girls club is out in full force today. If only your words had the power to shake me. Keep trying though, it's cute watching you fail miserably. Rebecca, you must be so proud of your army of negativity. Save your breath for someone who actually cares. I've got better things to do than entertain your insecurities."

I decided to sleep to keep my mind calm since tomorrow I might have the worst day of my life.

I'm pretty sure I'm way too deep into this shit and there's no way out now, and I am desperate to make this my virtual boxing ring.

._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

Hope you like it..!!