Chapter 3

"The area around Westminster Abbey has been blocked off this evening in preparation for Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding tomorrow morning. The final rehearsal will take place tonight, and a dinner will follow at Kensington Palace for those involved."

Jackie smiled to herself as she pulled on a pair of heels while sitting on the couch in her flat. It was an odd feeling to hear about her plans for the night on the BBC, and she couldn't even imagine what it would be like the next day, after the wedding. As the news reported, Jackie was leaving her flat to go to Kate's rehearsal, an immensely boring event. She has already practiced a few times before, and everything had gone smoothly. But of course, another run through was a necessity. Jackie wore a snug navy dress and nude heels to practice for the walk down the aisle the next day. She would have to hold the hands of two of the young royal bridesmaids while leading the rest behind her, all while wearing a somewhat snug floor length dress and heels. There would be no one to steady her if she stumbled, and the thought was terrifying.

Jackie hurried from her apartment, locking the door behind her. She'd worn the tires on her car down to nothing since the Royal engagement a few months before, driving to appointments and to Kensington Palace and back. Jackie was beginning to feel more at home in the palace than she did in her own flat- clothes and a tooth brush remained in a small but luxurious guest flat for her- that just happened to be right next door to Harry's Kensington Palace flat.

The car park near Westminster Abbey was full of Royal vehicles, there were wedding planners and security personnel all over the place, and there were hundreds of paparazzi and well-wishers swarming the front of the Abbey. As Jackie made her way inside, she gave the cameras a wave and a smile.

Jackie stepped through the doorway into the Abbey, finding Kate and Michael at the start of the aisle

"Jackie!" Kate greeted, hugging her tightly.

Jackie gave Michael a peck on the cheek before asking, "Are you nervous?" She admired the decorations that were going up in the Abbey. Massive trees were being carted in through back doors and lined up along the seemingly endless aisle. Kate, Michael, Jackie, and the children had a three minute walk. It didn't sound very long, but even in rehearsal it felt as if an hour full of nervousness drug by each time.

"Of course," Kate answered. "But it'll all be okay."

"Right, it'll all be okay."

***

"Kate is my sister. I love her so much and wish her and Will all the best. I-" Jackie paused, holding onto her champagne glass tightly. "I can't imagine a better Duchess."

"Cheers!" called a voice from the opposite end of the extremely large dining table. The rest of the wedding party joined in with a hearty "Cheers!" There was applause as Jackie smiled and took her seat.

"That was moving," a playful voice whispered into Jackie's ear.

Jackie smiled, narrowing her eyes. "I can't pull off funny like you."

Harry grinned. "And if I was that sappy Will would choke on his champagne."

Jackie took a long drink from her glass and took a bite of the expensive looking salad on her plate. "I could get used to the royal life." She earned a laugh from the prince, and continued. "I almost don't want this all to be over with. Once I'm not the royal maid of honor I'll have to go back to being just Jackie."

"I like just Jackie," Harry mused. Jackie frowned, pretending as as though he'd offended her, and Harry quickly added, "I like maid of honor Jackie too- I just meant that I like you."

Jackie laughed. "Oh." She glanced around to make sure no one was watching the pair and leaned in to whisper, "I like you too."

Jackie straightened up when she realized Harry's stepmother, Camilla, was addressing her. "Jacqueline, what are you having done to your hair tomorrow?"

"I-" Jackie fought to hold back a gasp when she felt a hand on her thigh. Camilla looked at Jackie curiously. "Kate wants me to wear it down, just simple curls."

Camilla nodded with approval. "That would be lovely."

Jackie nodded to a waiter that stood in the corner of the formal dining room of Kensington Palace, motioning to her glass of champagne. With Harry's hand secretly on her knee in front of the entire Royal family, she would need it.

---

"And then," Kate managed to say between fits of hysterical laughter, wiping at a tear running from her eye. "And then-"

William laughed at his fiancée. "Alright, Katie, I think you've had enough."

Kate shook her head fervently. "Oh, William, I'm a grown woman."

"You've got to be up early, I promise you'll regret it in the morning," William said in an almost scolding tone.

"He's right," Jackie added. Her head was a bit fuzzy, but she was no where near as bad as Kate. "If you go up to your room and go to sleep right now you'll be fine in the morning."

Kate let out a loud sigh, and stood up. "Alright, alright. Come along then, William."

The remaining guests said goodbye to Kate and Will as the pair left the ballroom. Jackie was left with older members of the family and lots of cousins, and of course, Harry. The red haired Prince held another glass of champagne in his hand and offered it to Jackie. She shook her head.

"I probably shouldn't."

"I never pegged you as a quitter," Harry sighed nonchalantly.

Jackie just scowled. "Don't you want to be in perfect shape for the wedding tomorrow? You and I will be standing next to the stars for hours. Everyone will see us."

Harry shrugged. "I'll be fine. I don't have to do much."

"You're so lucky you don't have to walk down that aisle, its about a thousand kilometers long," Jackie complained, leaning against an ornate wood pillar, complete with gold leaf designs.

Harry joined her, to the point that his arm brushed against her's. The past months of wedding planning had brought Jackie and Harry closer together than they'd ever been. They spent long nights at Will and Kate's apartment, going over details such as guest lists, bachelor and bachelorette parties, and decorations with planners and the couple. Jackie often ran into Harry at the palace's gym, where the two occasionally raced around the track. He sometimes visited her in her guest flat when neither of them had any plans, laughing and talking for hours. Harry grew more and more appealing in her eyes- he was funny, charming, and kind, and it was hard to look past how perfect a maid of honor and best man romance would be.

"I'll just watch," Harry said with a grin. Jackie nodded and sighed, silence hung in the air. She watched Harry from the corner of her eye, he seemed lost in thought.

"I was-" Jackie started.

"Would-" began Harry.

Jackie and Harry grinned at each other, and Harry spoke first. "I'm going to head up to my flat, this isn't the most exciting crowd," he added under his breath. "But I was wondering if you would want to come by, in say, half an hour?"

Jackie flashed a smile at the Prince, her cheeks growing hot. "I'll see you there."