Chapter 7

Jackie's eyes fluttered open, and for a moment, she wasn't sure where she was. Then, the sound of steady breathing next to her served as a reminder.

After the party had gone into the early morning hours, she and Harry has retired to her guest flat in Kensington Palace. She was still exhausted, having only gotten about two hours of sleep, but she needed to get back to her own flat to prepare for work. The mere thought of returning to her own life made Jackie want to cry.

Jackie turned over, smiling at the sight of Harry sprawled across his side of the bed, still in a deep sleep. The sight was still a shock- as if the past two days had never happened.

Jackie couldn't resist crawling over and giving Harry and few kisses- which were sleepily returned. Her stomach got the familiar, warm feeling as Harry wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a bone crushing hug.

"I've got to go to work," she sighed.

"Quit."

Jackie laughed. "Unfortunately I don't get an allowance from the taxpayers."

Harry scoffed. "I bring joy to the British people in return for that money, it's not an allowance."

"Money well earned." Jackie gave Harry one last kiss before he released her. "I'll see you soon?"

"You'd better."

Jackie took some clothes from a drawer and tiptoed into the bathroom, where she showered and dressed quickly. Then, with wet hair, Jackie slipped from her room, giving the sleeping Harry one last longing glance.

She navigated through the now familiar halls of Kensington Palace to the private entrance, where the royal valet went to get her car from the back lot.

As Jackie drove through the gates of Kensington Palace, she watched clean up crews slowly but surely picking up the trampled flowers, signs, and garbage left behind by the crowds from the day before. She smiled to herself, so very grateful to have been a part of the fairytale wedding.

As Jackie drove back to her flat, she remembered that after practically living in the palace for 6 months, she wouldn't have any good food in her fridge. So, with a tired groan, she turned into a nearly empty lot of a grocery store.

Jackie filled a basket with the necessities, bananas, bread, and the like. The thought of cooking for herself again was saddening. She liked the gourmet meals served in the palace, and not having to clean up after herself. The transition would be hard.

Jackie pushed her cart over to the cashier and began to unload her cart onto the belt. What she saw next made her double take. The cover of People Magazine read:

ROYAL WEDDING ROMANCE: HARRY AND JACKIE

Accompanying the bold title were three photos; Harry and Jackie arm in arm, looking lovingly  at each other as they walked down the aisle, Jackie with her arms wrapped tightly around Harry's back, her eyes closed, as they danced at the reception, and- to her horror- a photo of Will, Kate, Harry, and Jackie's backs as they greeted guests. Harry's hand was grabbing a handful of her skirt, the side of Jackie's face was visible, and she was grinning like a love-struck school girl, Harry looking mischievous. The last two photos were most definitely sent in by a betraying guest, they looked as though they had been taken by a cellphone camera.

Jackie's heart raced as she picked up the magazine, flipping to the article. There were more photos inside, little romantic moments between the best man and maid of honor. The magazine reported that the pair had been friends since Uni, and speculated how long the romance had been going on for.

"It'll be 21.35," the cashier, a teenage girl, said dully. She looked at the magazine Jackie was holding, her eyes going wide. "Is that- are you Jacqueline Baker?"

Jackie was still in shock. She nodded slowly and handed the cashier the magazine and her bank card. "So is it true?" the cashier continued slowly.

"I-" Jackie let out a nervous laugh. "It certainly looks that way."

The cashier smiled. "I always hoped I would be the one who got Harry. You seem nice enough, though."

Jackie didn't know what to say, so she just smiled. The cashier handed back her card, and Jackie filled her arms with her bagged groceries. "Thank you."

"Have a good day- good luck with your Prince!" the cashier called.

Jackie drove back to her flat a bit over the speed limit, her mind going wild. Harry would be so angry- the Queen would be so angry. After deepening their friendship over a few months, they'd only really been together for one day and it was all over the tabloids. She slammed to a stop in her assigned parking space at her flat, grabbed her groceries from the backseat, and ran inside.

Her flat had been closed up for a while, so Jackie threw open some windows before she pulled out her phone and sat on the couch with a thud. Her first instinct was to call Kate, but she didn't want to bother her on her first day on her honeymoon. So, Jackie dialed the Kensington Palace operator.

"Kensington Palace," a woman's voice answered.

"Hello, I need to speak with Ha- with Prince Harry."

"May I ask who's calling?"

"It's Jacqueline Baker."

"Hold just a moment Ms. Baker, I'll ring his room."

"Thank you."

The line rang twice before Harry answered, his voice tired. "Jackie?"

"I'm sorry, did I wake you?" Jackie asked.

"Yes, but that's alright, I need to get up anyway. What is it?"

"I was just at the store, and, one of the magazines-"

There was a voice in the background on Harry's end. She couldn't make out Harry's muffled response. "Jackie?"

"Mm?"

"That was my secretary, he showed me."

Jackie's stomach was in knots. "I'm so sorry, I can't believe this- I know you didn't want people to know-"

"Hey-" Harry interrupted. "When did I say I didn't want people to know?"

Jackie thought for a moment. "I suppose you didn't."

"I'm sure my grandmother won't be too pleased, this isn't exactly a very proper way to announce a relationship-"

"Is this a relationship?" Jackie asked, stunned.

"We've known each other for nearly 10 years, even more so these past few months. I consider it a relationship, don't you?" Harry added quickly, "But if not, that's alright, of course."

Jackie's smile was so broad her cheeks hurt. "I think I can agree to that."

She could practically hear the smile in Harry's voice. "Well, since we are dating, we don't have to deny this rumor. But my secretary has advised me not to confirm it either. He thinks we should lay low for a bit, not be seen together, and I should speak with my family."

Jackie nodded. "That sounds reasonable." There was a pause. "I really can't believe this."

"Believe it."