Chapter 11

"Why don't we go out on the balcony and tan?" Emily asked, absentmindedly flipping through a magazine.

"We can't," Jackie said with a sigh. "I don't want someone to take our picture."

"Well we don't have to go topless. And besides, how would they get a picture of you all the way up there?"

"I don't know, but I really don't want to risk it." Jackie smiled at her friend sympathetically. "Why don't we go to your apartment?"

"My apartment isn't on the fifth floor and doesn't get the perfect amount of sunlight on the balcony." Emily took an emphasized bite of a carrot, tossing her magazine to the table. "You shouldn't let the paparazzi keep you locked up all day!"

"I still get out, I'm out right now." Jackie protested.

"Yeah, at work! Where've you gone since the polo match three weeks ago?"

"Kensington Palace."

Emily pursed her lips. "Only to lay around in Harry's bed for hours on end. I mean really gone out. To the park, for a walk?"

"I've never gone to the park for a walk!" Jackie said with a laugh. "And I don't like clubs. I'm not missing anything."

"You always have a comeback, don't you?" Emily grumbled.

Jackie lightly pushed her friend. "Just eat your lunch, I want to get back to work."

"Of course you do. What happened to the Jackie who would start her lunch five minutes early and end it five minutes late? Has proper Princess Jackie taken over completely?"

Jackie blushed. "Princess Jackie, has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?"

Emily threw a carrot at Jackie from across the table with an exasperated "Ugh!"

The door to the break room opened, causing Jackie and Emily to turn their heads in unison. A familiar man in a neat suit walked in, closely trailed by Jessica, the nurse manager. "Jackie-" said Jessica, looking flustered- "this man is here to see you- he insisted it be now."

Jackie stood, remembering seeing the man around Kensington Palace. "Ms. Baker," he greeted with a bow of his head. "I have a message from His Royal Highness, Prince Harry."

Jackie was slightly taken aback. Emily and Jessica watched intently as Jackie was handed a white envelope with her name scrawled across the front in familiar chicken-scratch writing. She smiled as she quickly tore open the envelope, pulling out a white card with black trim, marked with an extravagant "H" topped with a crown.

Jackie-

I would like to formally invite you to spend the weekend with my family and I at Balmoral. Hope to see you there.

With love,

Harry

Jackie looked from the card to the man. "This is it?"

He nodded. "His Highness would like me to return with an answer. "

"Well, I'll have to check the schedule-"

"You're off this weekend!" Jessica interjected, her eyes wide with excitement.

"I-" Jackie laughed. "Well, then, tell him I would love to."

"Thank you, Ms. Baker, I'll inform him immediately."

As soon as the door closed behind the messenger, Emily read the card and let out an excited squeal. "Balmoral! Family! Love!"