Chapter 12

"Come on, Candy!" Harry called, a bit of annoyance in his voice. The Queen's corgi looked up from a plant she was sniffing and begrudgingly followed the rest of the dogs.

"I've read the corgis are quite vicious," Jackie commented, warily watching Candy come nearer.

"They get in fights quite a lot, it's worse when we all get together and bring the others dogs," said Harry, looking over his shoulder again to be sure all the dogs- nine in total- were still following. When Harry and Jackie had said they were going out for a hike, a few royals had asked that they take some of the dogs out with them. Now it was impossible to enjoy the wilderness, Jackie wasn't sure if she was more terrified of losing one of the dogs or being attacked by one of the little corgis.

"So, do you really like Balmoral?" Harry asked, putting an arm around Jackie and pulling her to his side.

Jackie leaned her head on Harry's shoulder. "I really do."

Jackie had ridden with the Queen after lunch the day before, sharing stories of their experiences with horses, and the Queen even complimenting Jackie on her effortless jump over a stream. For a woman in her 80s, the Queen was quite agile on a horse, jokingly challenging Jackie to a race. All her anxieties had been washed away. Harry's grandmother was a natural conversationalist, something she had perfected over years of hosting garden parties and state events. But Jackie felt that she and the Queen had made a real connection. Jackie had loosened up enough to joke a bit, the Queen laughing and smiling.

"I know some aren't fond of the country life, my mother hated it here," Harry said reminiscently. "She used to lock herself in a bedroom while William and I would go hunting and fishing with our father." 

"I don't blame her for skipping out on the hunting," Jackie said with a laugh. "I love living in the city, I think Manhattan is my favorite place of all, but this is nice." Jackie looked up at Harry and gave him a genuine smile. "And, spending time with you isn't bad, either."

"You'd better not let my father hear you say your favorite city is in America," Harry teased. "But I could get used to this- spending time out in the middle of nowhere- with you, of course." 

Jackie and Harry had slept in separate rooms, not daring to take the risk of word getting out in the ancient castle. Jackie wanted to make a good impression with Harry's family, and found it far from appropriate if they shared a bed. She got a great night's sleep in the luxurious bed, made with silky sheets and fluffy blankets. She had been scared to touch anything, though. All the furniture and decor was so elegant and lavish that it looked like it belonged in a museum.

"It's beautiful here," said Jackie, looking through a break in the trees to see the River Dee.

"Would you like to go down to the water?" Harry asked. Jackie nodded, and after he had skillfully jumped down a small drop, Harry helped her down to the river bank. After lifting the smaller of the nine dogs down as well, Harry and Jackie walked arm in arm to the shaley rocks that lined the river. Jackie sat up against a large, smooth gray rock and watched as Harry tossed a stick into the slowly-moving water, the larger dogs racing to get to it first. Jackie was left with the three corgis, sure to keep her hands tucked on her lap, not wanting them to get any ideas.

After a tiring round of fetch, Harry joined Jackie against the rock, wiping some dirt off of his army green pants. Matched with a loose fitting blue button up top, Harry looked wonderfully relaxed. Jackie was impressed by the royals' casual style.

Jackie watched with a smile as Harry reached for Prince Charles's yellow lab, gently pulling the dog into his lap. Harry gave the dog a kiss on the head and a vigorous pet. "Why don't you have a dog of your own?" Jackie asked.

"I'm constantly at work on base, and I could be deployed at any time. I'd feel bad leaving the poor thing alone." Harry looked at the lab lovingly as he said, "I would love to have one, though."

Jackie rested her head on Harry's shoulder. She was just about to comment on how nice the seclusion was when there was a rustling in the trees on the opposite bank of the river. Harry let out a groan when five or six men stumbled into sight, cameras in hand. "Harry! Jackie!" they called, bringing the cameras to their eyes. The dogs began barking, Harry standing up and offering a hand to pull Jackie to her feet.

"Come on now, give us a good photo!" one of the men called. "We just walked five miles to see you!"

Harry motioned with his head for Jackie to follow, and called for the dogs to do the same. Jackie was disappointed as Harry helped her climb back up from the bank to the path, making their way back to the castle. "I guess we went too far, they aren't allowed on my grandmother's property. Sorry about that," Harry grumbled.

"It's alright," said Jackie. She kicked a lone stone on the dirt path, putting an arm around Harry's waist. "I had fun."

Harry's arm snaked around her back, his hand sinking down and recreating the now infamous photo of them at the wedding. "So did I."

---

"Your Highness, Her Majesty wishes to see you and Ms. Baker in her office," a butler said quietly.

Harry and Jackie had been lounging in one of the Balmoral sitting rooms that night, taking advantage of the wet bar in the corner. "Come along then, Ms. Baker," Harry said with a grin, following the butler from the room. Jackie set her glass of wine down, rushing to follow.

They were escorted to an impressive, carved wood door, which was opened by another butler. Jackie was struck by the sight of the Queen sitting at an ornate desk, large windows behind her revealing the dark Scottish countryside- looking overwhelmingly regal.

"Hello, Granny," Harry greeted, walking over to give the Queen a peck on the cheek.

Jackie followed suit by curtsying with a smile, "Your Majesty."

"Sit, sit," said the Queen, motioning to two arm chairs facing her desk.

Jackie and Harry each took a seat, looking expectantly at the Queen. Jackie couldn't help but to take notice of the mass of corgis huddled around the desk, setting her slightly on edge.

"I wanted to make it known to you both that I fully support your relationship," said the Queen, her blue eyes twinkling. "Jacqueline, Harry came to me last week, asking if it was alright that the two of you be seen together in public."

Jackie nodded, Harry had told her that- the Queen had approved of the polo appearance.

"After meeting you, and being thoroughly impressed, I have decided to invite you to a garden party at Buckingham Palace next weekend. It's going to give the impression that your relationship with Harry is serious- and I hope it is."

Jackie looked to Harry, who raised an eyebrow. She smiled. "I'm very serious about it, Your Majesty."

The Queen smiled. "I thought so. You two seem very much in love."

Jackie's skin tingled. She and Harry hadn't said they loved each other yet, but that week, she had heard the word "love" multiple times, and it had got her thinking.

"So- I just want you to know, that inviting you to the garden party is essentially me putting a public stamp of approval on this relationship." The Queen leaned forward. "And I'm very happy to do so. The two of you remind me of Philip and I when we were young, there's a certain connection that's quite obvious."

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Jackie said sincerely, her heart fluttering. The Queen stood, dismissing Harry and Jackie.

Once back in the hallway, Harry wrapped Jackie in a tight hug. Jackie gave him a peck on the cheek, and asked with a sly smile. "So, I suppose we'll have to act very much in love next weekend."

Harry grinned. "Oh, I don't have to act." After giving her a kiss, he said with a laugh, "That's my way of saying that I love you."

Jackie felt herself blush as she giggled, and was totally sincere when she said, "And this is my way of saying that I love you too."

---

Thank you all for reading, I had no idea how popular this story would become! Please please please comment with thoughts and suggestions. I would love to hear what you all think should happen. 😊