Chapter 15

"I was wondering if you'd accompany me to New York City in three weeks."

Jackie looked up from her omelette, with excitement. "New York City? I love it there!"

"I know you do, " Harry said with a grin. "Kate told me about all your trips there as child."

"My parents and I would always go over Christmas holiday. My mother would show me Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis's apartment when we walked through Central Park. It was always a dream of mine to live in that same building. I was named after her, you know," Jackie added.

"You were named after an American?" Harry asked, mock incredulously.

"I was. I suppose if I had to choose any American to be named after, it would be her. I believe your grandmother met her in the 60s," said Jackie. "I should ask her about it."

"I'm sure she'd be glad to tell you all about her." Harry took a long drink of coffee. "So, would you like to come?"

Jackie pursed her lips. "I really would love to, but I can't. I'm scheduled to work."

Harry sighed. "C'mon, they've been understanding about you taking time off before."

"But that's the point, I have to work now. It's not fair to everyone else."

Harry rubbed his forehead, a habit Jackie had come to realize was a sign he was getting frustrated. "It's just a job."

Jackie felt her cheeks redden, this time with anger. "This is my career. I've worked hard for it. It's my life."

"I thought this-" Harry motioned between himself and Jackie- "was your life now."

Jackie folded her arms on her small kitchen table she and Harry were eating breakfast at. "C'mon. I can go on trips with you when I'm not working."

"But you're working all the time," Harry shot back.

"My boss has been so understanding these past months about letting me take time off to go on these trips with you!" Jackie protested. She could feel her voice rising, becoming a bit shrill. "What's the big deal if I can't go on this one?"

"Because I want you with me! You're going to have to quit your job anyways, why do you care so much?"

Jackie was taken aback. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You can't work at the hospital and be and be a Duchess of So-and-so."

"I'm expected to give up everything?"

Harry seemed to search for the right words. "But it's not everything. You have me. You don't need to work if you're with me."

"I-" Jackie let out a huff. "My career is my identity. It's who I am. I'm Jackie the Nurse. You want me to quit my life's work so I can be sitting around, available for vacationing?"

"No, it's- you won't be sitting around. You'll have public duties and engagements-"

"I don't have anything if I'm not part of the royal family. I can't even get security to keep the paps from crushing me every time I step outside," Jackie spat.

Harry looked a bit hurt. "But you will. We've spoken about this, you want to get married."

"I didn't know that getting married meant changing everything about myself," Jackie said quietly.

"I thought you understood what you were getting into," said Harry, almost inaudibly.

"So did I."

They faced each other in silence, both staring into their plates. "I guess I need to do some thinking," Jackie whispered.

Harry looked at her, pain in his eyes. "What's there to think about?"