Chapter 11

"We should take a break..."

"What? No! What do you mean? We just started dating!" Jordan argued.

After sighing heavily, she explained, "I don't think Mason's ready to see us together. He told me it was fine but after what just happened... I think we need to give it more time."

"But so what if he's jealous? That's his problem."

"Yeah, 'so what if he's jealous ' until he starts hurting himself because of it. He's still my best friend. I don't want to be the reason he's in pain."

"That's his choice to hurt himself. We aren't directly hurting him."

"The thing is, he's choosing to harm himself physically and mentally because of us. There wouldn't be a chance of him getting hurt if we separated. I think it's what's best."

"It may be best for him but not best for our relationship."

"It is best for our relationship. I don't want this to be the reason why the people closest to me are upset."

"Fine." He says softly, but still displays some disagreement in his tone. "Once you're ready, or Mason's ready, feel free to come back."

Her eyes said words her mouth couldn't, feelings of compunction. But she wouldn't dare say those words out loud. She knew she'd go back if she did, Jordan wouldn't stop her. And she couldn't do that to Mason.

She got up and grabbed her things, avoiding eye contact. As she left, Jordan watched, disappointed of his loss, envious of his brother, slightly mad at him, too, for being the reason why his girlfriend had just left him.

***

One Month Later

***

Avery picked up her phone. A message from Mason popped up, reading 'Hey, wanna hang?'

She answers, saying yes.

-Texting-

Hey, wanna hang?

Yea
Where are we meeting up?

I'll pick you up at 3?

Sure :)

-Chat Closed-

Her feet rush her up the stairs, taking her into her room. She opens the door to her closet, revealing tons of clothes. Unsure of the formality, she grabbed an ivory-colored off the shoulder knitted sweater and paired it with some whitewashed jeans.

She quickly changed into the jeans. She took off her t-shirt and swapped her bra with a nude, strapless one. Then, slipped on the sweater.

This had been probably the seventh time they hung out since Mason was released from the hospital. Now that Jordan wasn't a problem, they could spend time together guilt-free.

Her teeth and hair were brushed, hair was straightened, and perfume was on.

She put on a slight amount of makeup, mascara, concealer, blush, lipgloss and highlighter.

After texting him that she was ready, she collected some essentials to put in her purse. Avery whipped out her keys as she closed the front door behind her, then locked it.

She sat on the steps, waiting for Mason to arrive. His new car pulled into the driveway shortly after. He got a new one after the crash, the old one was repaired and sold.

This new car was nice. Brand new. A BMW M4 in a glossy black.

She sped down the steps then waved as she smiled at him, approaching the car. Her hand wrapped around the handle of the car door, pulling on it to reveal a clear view of the handsome man in the drivers seat.

"Where are we going?" Avery exclaimed as she seated herself in the passenger seat.

"Movies."

"Ooh! Are we watching that new one? I've been dying to see it."

"Mhm." He smiled back at her.

After the short drive to the movie theater, they went inside and claimed their seats. He had got them pretty good seats. The view of the screen was very clear.

Towards the end of the movie, Avery glanced over at Mason. He was very interested in the movie. He was so invested, he had a funny look on his face. She thought it was cute, and an urge grew inside her. It made her slightly part her lips, unsure if she should act on this impulse, yet having a strong desire to do it.

Her gentle hand met the side of his face, slowly pushing to turn his gorgeous face to look at her. He snapped out of the world the movie had him entangled in. His expression quickly changed to a puzzled one. Wasn't she dating Jordan?

She caressed his cheek with her thumb, leaning in for the kiss. He forgot about all the questions he had. Instead, he could only think about how good her soft lips felt on his.

Butterflies filled Avery's stomach as Mason kissed her back, hungrily. Adjusting his position to lean over her allowed him to reassert his dominance. He tilted her chin up to gain more access. She was trying not to moan, it would get them weird looks.

They pulled away to take a breath, but it was short due to Mason taking Avery's bottom lip into his mouth and sucking. She let out a small moan, unable to hold it in. Thankfully, no one noticed. It was muffled by Mason's sweet kisses.

He seemed to have snapped back into reality. His eyes shot open. His mouth no longer kept moving against hers. He pulled away. "Wait," He uttered, confused. He followed with, "Aren't you-?"

"We're over." She whispered seductively. At that moment he knew what he had to do. He had a chance and he wouldn't let the opportunity slip again.

He smashed his lips onto hers. Avery tried to kiss back, but his lips started moving toward her neck. He kept kissing and sucking along her jaw until he reached her ear. His hand reached out to move her hair away.

He whispered in her ear. "Be my girlfriend."

"Y-yes" She moaned.

***