ii.

— CHAPTER TWO

"NO PICTURES."

may, 2023

         "UM- I JUST WANNA THANK YOU all for showing up." The world watched in excitement. Whilst there may only be 30 or so people in the room including her teammates- now former teammates, millions across America were tuned in. That included the UConn women's team who sat praying they'd get her.

"It's been a long few days, you know deciding where to spend my senior year- but I think I've decided." Her eyes began to water knowing what came next.

"I want to start by saying thank you. Not only to the staff, whether it be coaches, trainers or just councillors helping me make it through the year-" She giggled, aiming to find happiness in such a solemn moment. "But, I also want to say some words to my teammates."

"Firstly, Uh- I'm sorry. It was never my plan when I joined, uh- to leave before completing a legacy at LSU. You've all been nothing but amazing. If I need a moment of quietness I can rely on you all to let me have it. If I needed someone to talk to me, every single teammate would offer. When I wanna score in a game, I can always rely on someone to pass to me, even if that is our job." She hiccupped out, tears now more prevalent than ever still making jokes despite it not raising the sombre mood in the room.

"The student section here at LSU is indescribable. I hope one day everyone in the world gets at least a minute to experience what it's like to be loved- uh- to be cheered on and to know our student section. It's incredible." It was getting harder by the minute to voice her emotions without the sound of tears being louder than her words.

"Finally. I feel as though I owe everyone an explanation." More cameras began to record, several microphones turned on and everyone watched in silence.

At this moment KK, Nika and Ice all focused on the TV whilst Paige was sprawled out on the end occupied by her tiktok. She paid no mind to the girl on the television but it was impossible to ignore her as every other swipe felt like a new edit of Le'ana. Paige had no choice but to turn her phone off and pay attention.

"A few days ago I went into a meeting with Kim, and I was told I'd be cut short of my minutes this year. Her reasoning felt fair at first. It was a chance to give Aaliyah some time and have her get familiar with LSU, but to me.. it- uh- it feels like my last season is pointless if I remain at LSU. It was slightly disrespectful, in a way. I worked so hard for three years, and forgive me for my ego but I won this team a championship- and yet I was barely gonna get played my senior year. I broke so many records and gave my all. Every time I stepped on that court, I poured my soul out to the world. I wouldn't be me if I didn't put my all into something. Personally, I can't continue at a team where my efforts aren't valued." Her sadness had now turned into deep anger as she reflected on the meeting.

KK spoke up as Le'ana's muffled voice continued on the TV. "Man- that's bs. Imagine you got Le'ana Rodes on your team and you wanna give more playing time to a freshman." She laughed out.

Nika laughed agreeing "That's like replacing Paige with a random student you find in like- a biology class or something." Paige screwed her slightly, distaste towards the idea of being a bench warmer.

Their attention found its way back to the TV, not aware of what was to come next.

"I always promised the world I'd give everything I've got. I can't do that here. I'll make sure UConn win a national championship that's for sure." She finally uttered revealing where she was going.

The girls in the room rose with a noise not even fans could be louder than. They cheered their hearts out knowing they'd be getting the best player in college right now. Even Paige, who was slightly jealous knowing her spotlight would be taken, let out a small smile and cheer.

Questions began to flood the room starting with the most obvious. "Why UConn?" Spoke many reporters. "I- I've been watching many teams last year and I feel like I'd truly thrive there. I had many talks with Geno and even watched highlights of some of the girl's plays. Their passion, their drive and just their skill and determination to be great is what I need. I really think we can be great."

"It- erm- It wasn't a simple decision, and maybe it may not be the right one. I won't know until I try and I'm ready to take that risk next season."

"Personally, Is there a player at UConn you can't wait to play with?" Was another query uttered by a random voice in the crowd.

"Oh- most definitely. I'm ready for what Paige can do, especially since she's probably coming off that injury soon. She's someone I've been watching since I was in high school- I remember uh- slightly embarrassing, but when she did that slam photoshoot I made my parents buy me a copy. It's probably still hung up in my room back home." She laughed out regretting admitting that. Paige laughed with the girls, slightly astonished at Le'ana's admiration of her.

"Yo, Paige she really fucks with you." screamed out Ice, followed by a loud manic laughter from KK. "I can't help it." Shrugged Paige. "Everyone wants a piece of me." The team wasted no time clowning her ego, attention finding its way back to the pretty face on the screen.

"I think people have forgotten her greatness and her accomplishments so I hope she can prove herself this year. I'm not there to replace her as a 'star player' I'm there to help them all cement their greatness - just like I want to."

Paige sat in shock. It was rare to be everyone's favourite player's, favourite player. Paige knew people admired Le'ana, even she did. Sometimes she would watch Le'ana play or rerun her film to pull off moves she saw the girl do at LSU. To hear she was Le'ana's idol was different. It was an emotion she couldn't comprehend and suddenly joy for the new teammate's arrival began.

The world wasn't ready for the pair, and I don't think the pair was ready for each other.

ELLE'S NOTES!!!
if the timeline seems off
ignore it i can't be bothered
to actually think it through