vi.

— CHAPTER SIX

"COMPANIONSHIP

"COMPANIONSHIP."

october, 2023

LE'ANA HADN'T HEARD FROM PAIGE since last night when the pair wished each other a swift goodnight. It was safe to say, by three pm she was getting more and more concerned. Simply sending Paige a text asking if she was ok, Le'ana let out a sigh, concerned for how much this girl had an impact on her. The last straw, before she ran to click the call button, was Paige leaving her on read.

"Paige?" She uttered immediately once the call was answered, not giving the girl time to say anything.

"Uh- Y- Yo." She coughed out attempting to cover the sounds of her whimpers as tears continued to roll down her cheeks like they had done all day.

"Paige, are you good?" To which no response was provided. A soft hum, which would not suffice according to Le'ana, was let out on the other end.

"Paige?" Le'ana raised her voice slightly.

If her volume wasn't at the maximum, and her phone wasn't on speaker Le'ana was sure she wouldn't have heard Paige, but she was lucky she did. "Can you come here?" Was all she softly whispered, true fragility on display for Le'ana to see.

Within a matter of seconds, the young girl was out the door and on her way to see Paige. She was pretty sure she would have won the world record for the fastest human alive. It was practically impossible to go any faster.

The door, thankfully, was open awaiting Le'ana's entrance. In front of her was a vulnerable Paige Bueckers. She lay flat on the bed, looking as if she had lost all life out of her. Her cheeks were contaminated with tears and her eyes held a permanent redness.

"Oh, Paige." Le'ana let out, upset at the sight in front of her. The brace Paige bragged to her last night about getting off a couple of days ago was now firmly placed back on her knee. Paige's hand was protectively placed on top of it.

It was silent. Paige simply remained in the position she was as Le'ana approached the bed. Her heart broke at the sight of Paige so weak. The girl had been one to have an ego. If you ever thought of Paige Bueckers you wouldn't necessarily say she's full of herself but the girl knew what she was worth. Yet, here she sat, displaying her fragility to the girl across from her.

Paige was embarrassed. Even in moments of true pain, where the aching in her knee wouldn't go away, she was so embarrassed to be showing this side of herself to Le'ana. A couple of hours ago she was mindlessly flirting with the girl, as a result of her rising ego, and now she sat head in hands unable to explain what was wrong.

"Speak to me, Paige." She looked up, fear prominent in her gaze.

"I- I was practising- um- this morning and I fell on it."  Paige's voice cracked and her eyes began to water once more.

"That's fine. You're fine. Paige you're you there's nothing you can't overcome." Le'ana was contemplating taking up that motivational speaker role in the future.

"Le'ana. It's- um- the physio said it's bad. Like- I might not even be ok before the first game." The girl's heart broke for Paige, wanting nothing more than to play alongside the girl.

"Come here." Le'ana uttered signalling with her hand for Paige to come over. "-oh wait I'll come to you." Le'ana successfully made the girl laugh. It was a talent of hers to cheer people up and she was finally putting it to good use.

Lightly moving Paige over Le'ana positioned herself in the girl's bed. Moving Paige's head up slightly she placed her arm under, making Paige throw her head back in comfort.

The girls sat in silence for a minute. Both of them have different things in mind.

Paige was wondering how she could erase Le'ana's memory. She wished the girl would forget any of this happened, out of pure self-consciousness. At the same time, her thoughts were plagued by the idea of how quickly Le'ana arrived by her side. The girl dropped everything in that instant the minute Paige called out for her. Why was it that Paige called out for her? In a moment of weakness, how did her finger automatically hover over the girl's contact rather than anyone else?

Le'ana's mind found itself focusing on the same thing. Why was she the first person Paige called? Maybe it was down to her being the most recent in the girl's contacts or just the first person she could see. It couldn't mean anymore. Le'ana wouldn't allow it. Letting herself imagine a reciprocated situation between the pair when nothing had occurred was the last thing she'd do. She and Paige were friends. Right?

Friends. A good word to describe the two. They called each other when needed. They had jokes between just them. They laughed at any moment together. Their hands even found themselves wrapped around the other's waist- wait.

Paige's hand had slowly moved down, from caressing Le'ana's arm to tracing circles around the waistband of her shorts. Paige wasn't necessarily doing it in a sexual manner, to Le'ana it felt more intimate than that. The act of her fingers running over her waist, working their way through the bumps and smooth areas, was closer than anyone had been to Le'ana.

Of course, the same was done to Paige. Rather than her waist Le'ana reached up to place a loose hair behind her ear. Except, now she kept her hand near the girl's face. Paige didn't dare look her in the eyes, or else she would be done. Her hand remained, simply feeling the soft indents along her jaw. They couldn't remove their hands from each other. Friends are like that, right?

The night consisted of silence. After uttering the words "I'll come to you." neither of the pair spoke until Paige uttered a soft, quiet "Thank you". Le'ana simply hummed in reply.

As the night came to a close, Paige deemed it safe enough to turn towards Le'ana, hoping the girl was asleep. As her head moved left, Le'ana was staring right back.

Fuck.

ELLE'S NOTES !!!
WE DID ITTTT ‼️
no offence to my girls,
but how we got here i'll
never understand 😭😭

a nice chapter for u all
just for this win

 a nice chapter for u all just for this win