It's Like You're Out To Get Me

The more time Adam spent with Eve, the more Lilith's memory faded into the deepest corners of his mind. Eventually, he even took her down to the beach, and they let the waves chase them. 

Eve was more agreeable than Lilith had been. She didn't push back as much and took more of an interest in what he had to say. It might've been because Adam was technically older and more experienced in the world, so she had to rely on him to teach her the names of the different animals and which trees she could eat from except the one. But he didn't care. 

He wasn't alone anymore. He had someone to love and cherish. And that's all that mattered. 

After touring the rest of Eden, Adam had finally decided to show her the instruments Luci had made him. He had tried to do everything to avoid the subject, even though he knew Eve knew what had happened. Thankfully, Eve never brought it up, so that made it easier for him to try and forget.

But the gift of music was too good of a gift not to share. Adam loved music, and he wanted Eve to enjoy it, too.

"Did you make those?" Eve gazed at the instruments as Adam revealed them from inside a log.

"No. Luci did." Adam smiled at her as he handed her a harp. 

Eve grew silent as she examined the harp in her lap. "This is the first time you've said his name. Do you want to talk about it?"

He shook his head. "There isn't anything to talk about. They're gone. We're here now."

Eve didn't look convinced. "But don't you ever wonder what happened to them?"

Now it was Adam's turn to pause. Yes, it was true there were times when the thought did cross his mind. Usually, during the nights when he was about to go to sleep. But what use would it do to dwell on it? They had made their choice, and they weren't coming back. 

He just hoped their choice had been worth getting banished from the garden. 

"Sometimes," Adam admitted. "But there's nothing that can be done about it now." 

He sat behind her and wrapped his arms around her, taking her hands and placing them correctly on the instrument. "Go on, strum it."

Eve turned her head slightly to smile at him. He could tell she was hesitant at first to play it, but once she started plucking the strings, she wouldn't stop. She played a soothing melody and began to hum along to it.

Adam joined in, strumming his lute. He hadn't touched the instrument since Luci and Lilith had left and he honestly thought he would never play it again. But as soon as he held it in his hands, it was like no time had passed at all. 

Eve opened her mouth and began to sing. Her voice wasn't as high-pitched as Lilith's had been, but it was still just as lovely. 

"Eve, you just sang!" Adam clapped his hands after she finished. 

Her face grew the same shade of red as her hair. "I didn't know I could do that! I thought only birds could sing."

Adam laughed. "No, we can sing too."

Eve's eyes gleamed with excitement. "Then I want to hear you sing!"

Now it was Adam's turn to blush. "We have chores to do. Maybe later."

"No, please, Adam! Don't be like that!" She took his hands into her own, discarding the harp. She looked so cute, and Adam was on the verge of giving in. If it hadn't been for the fact that the last time he had sung was during a duet with Lilith, expressing his love for her, he would have agreed to her plea. 

"I said, maybe later." He kissed her hand and smiled. "Besides, you don't want Sera to catch us not doing our chores, right?"

Eve pouted her perfect pink lips. "I guess. But can I come with you?"