I've Made Some Real Big Mistakes

"No, you don't get to end this! I'm fucking Adam! I'm the fucking man, and you're just some fucking clown or something!" Adam seethed at Lucifer, who was staring back at him with obvious disinterest in his eyes. In fact, all of these mutants were regarding him with similar looks, and it only infuriated him more. 

"I started everything on Earth! All of mankind came from these fucking nuts!" He pointed at himself, earning a couple of eye rolls from the sinners he had been so close to killing. If hadn't been for Lucifer and his brat, he would've succeeded. 

Which is why he couldn't understand why they would side with and befriend the people who were the reason they were here in the first place. 

Why were they treating him like the enemy? He was the reason they even existed in the first place! 

"You all should be worshipping me! You ungrateful, disgusting, fucking, LOSERS!" he screamed so hard that spittle came out of his mouth. 

The sound of something clanging to the ground in front of him caught his attention. It was a halo, stained in golden angel blood. 

Adam gaped at it as his brain struggled to understand the meaning behind it. He knew that halo.

Until that treacherous bitch Vaggie stepped forward and said, "It's over, Adam. Your second in command is dead. You've lost."

He opened his mouth to fire back but was interrupted when Vaggie threw down something else at his feet.

An eyeball. 

"Charlie told me you're a big fan of retributive justice. And so am I," she sneered. "I guess you did teach me something worthwhile after all."

Adam could only stare back at her dumbfounded, trying and failing to think of a response. Before he could even utter a syllable, Lucifer snarled at him. 

"Now take your little friends and go home! Before you embarrass yourself further!" Flames shot out of both his eyes and mouth, and his tone dropped several octaves. 

Reluctantly, Adam grabbed Lute's halo and placed it inside his robe.

"All exterminators! Fall back!" He told himself he was only retreating because he didn't want any more of his girls to die. Not because he was scared to lose a fight against Lucifer. If it hadn't been for his girls' lives at stake, he would've taken one last shot at Lucifer and gone down swinging. 

"Don't think this is over, you prick!" Adam called down to Lucifer as he took flight in the air. "I'll come back next year! And I'll bring Michael down with me! Remember him, bitch?! 

He saw the fire return to Lucifer's eyes and that only urged him to continue his taunts. "Yeah! Next time, I'll make sure you deep-throat that sword of his until you fucking choke!" 

The last of the exterminators had retreated through the portal back to Heaven. Adam followed after them, his rage burning so intensely inside him that he swore he could feel his blood boiling. 

He couldn't believe Lute was dead. She had become like the sibling he never had. Did he love her? No, because he didn't believe in that shit anymore. But he did genuinely enjoy being around her. Lute was probably the only person in Heaven who sought out his presence outside of work. He may have acted dense, but he wasn't stupid enough to not know that the other human souls barely tolerated him. Even though he was the reason they were all there in the first fucking place.

And now, she was just gone. 

Lute and the other exterminators weren't human souls, so maybe that's why they all got along better. Or maybe it was because they were created to be his army, so it was in their DNA to like him.