Do You Get Deja Vu?

Adam did end up sleeping outside with the sheep that night. So when he woke up that morning, he was not in the mood to deal with Cain's petulant attitude. 

But to his pleasant surprise, Cain was nowhere to be found that morning. So maybe today would end up being a good day after all.

Little did he know it would be the worst day of his life after the day he got kicked out of Eden.

It started out normal enough. Eve had cooked some bird's eggs for breakfast for the both of them. She had told him the boys had gone to the angels to present them with their gifts, and afterward, they would do their chores. 

"They better. Because that roof still needs fixing," Adam grumbled. 

"Then why don't you fix it?" Eve raised an eyebrow. 

He narrowed his eyes at her, not appreciating the way she talked to him. It seemed like she still hadn't forgiven him for last night. But he didn't want to spend another night with the sheep, so he knew he needed to proceed carefully. 

"Because, Eve, I have to go get us dinner." He rose to his feet. "Unless you want to go hunt an elk?"

Eve pouted and crossed her arms. "You know my aim isn't as good as yours."

Adam smiled to himself as he grabbed the hand-made bow and quiver of arrows. "Then I'll see you for dinner, honey. And I mean it, the roof better be fixed when I get back."

He took his leave and set out towards the surrounding woods. Being in the forest early in the morning was one of his favorite places to be. With the birds chirping and the rays of sunlight breaking through the trees, it was just him and nature. 

This was as close to Eden as he could get now. 

He breathed it all in, the crisp air, the scent of the pines, and the fresh dew. From nearby, a creek trickled, so he followed its sound. It led him to the source, and drinking from it stood a majestic male elk.

Adam remembered the days when he used to feed said animal and would run with it through the garden. He even remembered when he initially named it the horned horse. 

Drawing his arrow as quietly as possible, he aimed the tip right at the animal's face. The elk didn't have a chance to react before the arrow pierced its skull. It went down to the ground with little more than a moan. 

Adam always tried to make their deaths quick and painless. He told himself it was because he didn't want them to suffer, but the reality was he didn't want to see them suffer.

"We've both changed so much, haven't we, old friend?" Adam stared down at the elk before removing the arrow from its body. 

Now came the arduous task of dragging the elk back to the hut. It was a good thing he had been created with as much upper body strength as he had, which was another reason Eve couldn't have done this. 

When he returned back to the hut, Eve was still there, sewing clothes made of leather and furs. 

And the side of the roof still hadn't been fixed.

"Where the fuck is Cain?" Adam released the elk from the hind legs he had been dragging it from. "You told me he would come back to do his chores. How long does it take to give the angels a basket of fruit?"

Eve glanced up at him from her sewing. "I'm sure he's on his way back. Relax, there's still plenty of daylight left for him to get them done."

Adam gritted his teeth and shook his head. "You say I'm too hard on him? I have to be because you're too easy on him! You're teaching him to be an ungrateful brat!"