Chapter 30: The Shadow, The Dragon, and The Light

Jellal felt fear after seeing Erza's glare as was on top of him, with her blade at his throat. However, before landing the final blow, there was something she wanted to know.

Erza: Why don't you tell me what your real goal is, Jellal? You and I both know that the R-System hasn't been completed.

Erza: Do you know what I've been doing since I left this place years ago? Researching it relentlessly. And I know that the tower itself is constructed exactly like the blueprints . There's still one thing you don't have, the final part to its completion.

Jellal's smile returned.

Jellal: That's not true ... cause your sacrifice will complete it...

Erza: No. Something even more basic than that: magic energy. I don't think you realize the amount of magic you'd have to accumulate just to activate the R-System.

Erza: You could gather every single wizard on the continent and you still wouldn't have enough power to pull it off. This tower doesn't have the capacity to store that much magical power within its walls and you certainly can't do it on your own.

Erza: I find it highly suspicious that you haven't tried to escape, despite knowing the council's preparing to attack. What are you up to?

Jellal: Only three more minutes until the Etherion fires...

Erza: Answer me! You know your dream will never come true! So why are you willing to risk your life?

She grabbed Jellal's right leg and squeezed it hard, making him flinch in pain.

Erza: Do you want to die?! If that's the case, then we'll go together!

Erza: I'll stay here to hold you down and I won't let go until the bitter end!

Jellal: To be honest... that doesn't sound so bad...

Jellal: I no longer have control over my own body and soul because I've been possessed by Zeref. I'm merely a puppet he's been manipulating in order for him to become flesh and blood again.

Erza: You were possessed by him?

Jellal: I wasn't able to save myself , and not even my closest friends were there to come to my rescue. That's when I realized... there is no light heaven nor does true freedom really exist.

Jellal: All of creation was finished before it even began.

The throne room began to shake and bits of the ceiling fell to the floor.

Jellal: Deep down, I knew the R - System couldn't be completed, but Zeref kept pushing me. He forced me to continue the tower's construction. I wanted to stop but I couldn't... it was like I was a freight train with no brakes.

Jellal: I surrender. Go ahead and finish me....

Jellal: Isn't that why you came looking for me ?

Erza was silent as an image of the young Jellal flashed through her mind. A moment passed as the tower continued to shake and debris fell to the floor. Erza pulled her sword away from Jellal's neck much to his surprise.

Erza: There's no need for me to spill your blood with my own hands. The Satellite Square is focused and the Etherion will fire any minute now.

She laid down her sword and released her hold on Jellal.

Erza: This means this is the end... of you... and me.

Jellal: It is a grim fate we share...

Erza: So all this time you were really just another of Zeref's victims..