Flirting (Marinette)

Marinette looked down at her phone and the numerous messages still sitting there from family, friends, acquaintances and random people who'd managed to gather her number from others. She was a hot topic, and shouldn't have been surprised by the sudden insane amount of interest. She had a new number coming very soon.

Engaged to Adrien Agreste, her longtime crush and the subject of countless daydreams – it should have felt like she was floating on Cloud Nine. Instead, the whirlwind of emotions churned within her and left her feeling unmoored and uncertain.

Being engaged had always been a distant dream, a fantasy she had woven in her mind during countless hours spent doodling hearts in her notebook. Yet, now it was her reality – her fake reality – she was at a loss as to how to navigate it. Her lecturers had been amazing, telling her she could jump in on a video conference for the classes instead of coming in, but that's not what she wanted. She didn't want to change anything.

The night of their engagement party had been wonderful. Adrien once again showed how perfect he was, and how much he cared for her. And the conversation with her father, knowing Adrien had gone out of his way to ask for her hand in marriage – even though it was fake – gah! How could she not continually fall head over heels for the man?

She looked down at her phone again, checking to see if Adrien had messaged her. Instead, it was another round of messages from random friends of friends. She was so tempted to turn the damn thing off or throw it in the Seine – though, it wouldn't be fair on the fish to deal with the constant interruption.

"Ugh!" she muttered, Anthony turning to look at her before he quickly turned away to look out the window. He hadn't talked to her since he'd found out about her little gathering the night before. She pleaded innocent – which she was. She had no idea any of this was going to happen.

"Are you ever going to talk to me again?" she hissed.

Anthony turned to look at her, before dramatically rolling his eyes and turning his head away, a metaphorical hair flick if she'd ever seen one.

"Fine." Marinette sighed, taking a small envelope from her pocket and placing it on her desk. Adrien had decided for their 'real' engagement party; he wanted to do it properly, so he'd fast-tracked the most beautiful gold and black party invitations (from Amazon). "If we're not friends anymore, you're not going to want this."

Her whispered words definitely didn't fall on deaf ears, as Anthony twisted slightly so he could look down on the table. She placed her fingers on top of the white envelope and pushed it slightly in his direction, letting out a long exhale.

Before whispering loud enough so only he could hear. "It's such a shame! I suppose I'll just admire Chris Hemsworth's butt myself then."

Now that did it! Grabbing the envelope and almost drooling on the table, Anthony ripped it open and pulled out the card. A golden rose embellished on the black card with the most gorgeous writing displaying hers and Adrien's names.

"Plus one?" he asked.

"I wouldn't expect anything else."

Luckily, the bell rang signalling the end of the lecture and allowing Anthony to pin her in the chair with a hug that almost suffocated her. "You know I was only kidding, right? I know you have this whole other group of friends. I wasn't trying to keep you all to myself."

Marinette smiled, pleased that Anthony had taken the invitation as an olive branch and accepted willingly – like he wouldn't when there was a possibility of seeing Thor in black tie.

"So, who else will be there?" he suddenly asked, well and truly ready to party with movie royalty.

"Pretty much everyone, I think. I haven't really questioned Adrien about it. Though, I'm quite sure it's Lana who's taking care of his guests." She packed her things away before checking her phone once more. The SSSHH group was active, which meant the invitations must have been reaching their destinations.