Chapter Fourteen

Sébastien scented the festering wound and knew it was too late. He wondered if the girl had noticed how slow and shallow her fathers breathing had become. How still he was inside his cell.

He wished his letter had reached her sooner but her father could hardly talk through his pain the first night  he had been here. The second he could hardly speak out of fear. Sebastian was the only one in the castle who could speak. The others lost their voice to the curse.

He glanced at Niel who encouraged him to speak with a tilt of his head.

The girl- the young woman, who stood before him with a confidence he hadn't known she could possess was disgustingly beautiful.

From her raven dark hair and golden tan skin. His eyes raked down her face, so full and glowing with youth. Her doe eyes were the prettiest shade of blue and her mouth, small but full. The rest of her body was hidden beneath her cloak and Sébastien thanked the damn gods he controlled himself this far. If it wasn't her face that led him to unleash himself upon her it would certainly be the body she hid. He simmered with rage at how perfect she was.

He hardly heard her question over the hunger that roared in his head, in every bone. The pure instinct to hunt, to seize, to take what was not his burned throughout his body. He willed himself to breathe, to release the fire that burned inside of him into rivers of smoke. He pushed the smoke out through his mouth and nostrils, letting his breath go  in one long release.

She  trembled before him. The candle's flames flickered against the smoke that pooled from his mouth.

"Your father is dying." It was all he could think to say knowing good and well the things that went through his mind were seductively morbid to speak aloud.

She turned to look over at her father who laid deathly still on his side. Sébastien sensed the weakness that went through her and caught her as she fell to her knees. The candelabra clanked against the ground and the candle's lights sputtered out. She felt soft  in his giant paws. He tried his best not to clutch her too tightly in fear of nicking her with his claws. She shuddered at his touch and Sébastien instinctively let her go.

"I'm too late. What is there for me to do now? My father is dying and it's my fault."

Sébastien snarled. "The man walked into his own death."

She flinched at his harshness. Neil gave him a warning look. Sébastien huffed, looking away. He couldn't help himself. The old man should have know the path he'd taken would be dangerous. The forest that surrounded his castle teamed with hungry wolves and vultures waiting for leftovers. Maybe it had whatever shred of humanity that was left in him when he scented the disturbance on the other side of the castle's walls. He'd let out a warning growl before taking off towards the gate. The smell of blood filled the air along with a male scent. But it wasn't the blood that motivated him. No. He was used to the smell of blood. It was the feminine scent of lavender that clung to the bloody male.

Now he knew where the scent came from. The young woman reeked  of lavender. Her scent was all over her father, all over his paws he had fisted at his sides. He felt defeated at how much he wanted her. He swore he would never give into his beastly instincts. He decided that death would not have its hold on him any longer. He could live with his consequences. With this curse. However long that would be. An eternity. He would do it. The thought of him robbing the earth of this beautiful woman gave him the encouragement needed to say his next words.

"Summon the healer. Inform Beatrice that a room is needed." He looked at the sobbing girl once more.

"Tell her to prepare two rooms."