𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟔

Faizan

One last event and I’m free to go back to work.

Tonight is the valima. The last event which seemed too far to come but it did. All I have to do is get through this then I don’t have to worry about the wedding preparations or the suspicious looks given by my brother.

“We have to go back to our boring life,” Farhan whines.

Farhan is the most upset about the events ending while I’m the most relieved.

“Can I not come tomorrow?” he asks.

“You’re the boss as well. Do whatever you want.”

“Yeah, I know. But I don’t want you coming into my office the next day and lecturing me about responsibilities,” he says, annoyed.

“I only come to remind you that we have a huge company in our hands.”

“Yeah, I know that but you make it really annoying.”

I shrug.

“What if we find you someone to marry? Then we both will have a reason to not go back.”

“Why don’t you find someone for yourself and leave me alone?”

“Don’t worry, you’ll get my wedding invitation. I’m very close.” I raise an eyebrow but he ignores me and changes the subject, “Anyways, if I don’t come tomorrow, promise you won’t lecture me. You owe me for going to Arzo and asking her if she’s okay-”

“Shut up. You’re loud.” I grit out.

He grins, “my, my, what’s going on, mere dost?”

“Nothing.”

“So, you forced me to go ask her if she’s okay for nothing?”

“No. I got to know she was fine.”

“So, I was giddy for nothing? All that for nothing?”

Why is he so dramatic?

I open my mouth to call out his dramaticness but a pitch voice interrupts me.

“Faiiizaaan!”

Farhan’s eyes widen, “I’m out,” he turns to leave but I grab the back of his collar and pull him back.

“You’re not leaving me alone with her,” I grit out.

“She’s your problem!” he says, trying to get out of my grip, “I didn’t sign up for this!”

I let go off Farhan. He trips a little before standing up straight.

“Faizan!”

I close my eyes for a bit to calm myself before I open them and turn around to face my annoying cousin. Layla.

“You didn’t come to greet me!” she says in a whining voice.

“Are you a guest?” I ask.

She laughs almost making us flinch, “No, silly! But I was waiting.”

“I am going to throw up,” I hear Farhan mutter.

I clear my throat, “You should go and make sure your mom doesn’t need anything-”

“She doesn’t.”

You’re kidding me-

“Anyways, I met Zahid’s in laws. I guess they’re fine. Do you know their younger daughter is a mute?”

“So?” me and Farhan ask at the same time.

“I feel so bad for her. She must be helpless.”

“Just because she can’t speak doesn’t mean she can’t do anything else.” I say.

“And she has a way to communicate and it’s way cooler,” Farhan adds.

“I get that but not everyone is going to learn sign language for her.” she says, chuckling.

“Not everyone has to.” I say, “her parents understand and so does her sister,”

“Whatever. I’m just saying, for her, it’s kind of hard to find someone to marry.”

“She didn’t tell you to worry,” Farhan says.

“And I’m not. Why would I?”

Farhan and I exchange a glance before Farhan looks at her, clearing his throat, “I think aunty is calling us.”

“You’re right.” I say.

“Oh, I’ll come along-”

“No!” Farhan and I say at the same time. Layla blinks at us.

“I mean, she probably will assign us some work.” Farhan explains, “you shouldn’t tire yourself.”

“Hm, you’re right. Okay, then.”

“Great. Come on, Faizan. Let us not keep your mama waiting.”

“Right.”

We quickly turn around and run towards the stage as if our life depends on it.

Zahid frowns as we quickly stand behind the sofa.

“What is wrong with you two?” he asks.

“Are you okay?” Hafsah asks with concern.

“We were attacked by someone.” Farhan says, dramatic as always.

“Who?” Hafsah asks.

“Layla.”

Arzo steps onto the stage as well.

“Oh, Zahid’s almost-wife.” Hafsah says with a poker face.

Arzo halts in her steps at her sister’s words, Zahid freezes while Farhan and I take a step back.

Habibti, we both know I was never interested.” Zahid bhai says.

“Still, she called you her fiance.”

Arzo’s eyes widen but she doesn’t say anything.

“To make you jealous. Which you were but look where we are now.” he says, nervously smiling.

Hafsah continues to stare at him with a poker face. Our eyes go back and forth between the couple till Hafsah smiles and says, “I’m only kidding,”

Farhan and I, along with Zahid release a breath of relief while Hafsah chuckles and even Arzo smiles.

“What was she saying to you two?” Hafsah asks after telling Arzo to sit on the sofa chair beside her.

“She was joining strings with Faizan,” Farhan says, earning a smack on the back of his head from me, “f- ouch!”

“Don’t listen to him.” I say.

“Do you like her?” Hafsah asks.

“No.”

“The only thing he likes enough to marry is his business.” Zahid says.

“Agreed.” Farhan joins in.

Hafsah laughs softly, “don’t worry, when the time comes you’ll find someone to marry.”

“How do you know?” Farhan asks.

“I don’t. All I know is Allah has written someone for you.”

Hafsah smiles knowingly, glancing at Zahid, who smiles after as well. Farhan makes a confused face.

I, however, end up glancing at Arzo at the same time she glances at me. We’re quick to realize our mistake and look away.

Few more hours.