𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟕

The days after Shoaib told me the deadline of his proposal, my nights and prayers have gone into sobs.

Whenever I try to distract myself, his words repeat in my head and my world shatters.

I can't marry him. He will ruin my life. But I don't have anything that could pull me out of this mess.

Shoaib is a master of manipulation. He will do anything and everything to manipulate ammi Abbu especially when he knows they're sensitive about me.

They would rather have me be with someone they've known since he was kid than be with someone who's a total stranger.

Ammi and abbu noticed the change in my behavior. They tried asking me what happened but I told them that I feel sick. I can't burden them with this anymore. I've burdened my family enough.

The thought again brings tears to my eyes as I sit on the prayer mat and raise my hands to make dua.

Ya Allah, I am so scared. I feel so lost. Please help me. I don't want to marry Shoaib but I also don't want to be a burden on my parents. Please, ya Allah, please help me get out of this. There is no one else except You who knows what goes in my heart. Please help me and protect my family from any danger they might face.

I let my tears flow as I pray to my Lord for guidance and protection. Even when there are no words left in my mouth, He listens to my heart.

Even when we can't speak a word, He still knows what we are asking for. Even when He knows what we want, He still listens. Even when we make a mistake, He never turns away from His servants. He listens, He forgives.

I stay on the prayer mat for a while then decide to get up and go downstairs.

I make sure to wash my teary face before I head downstairs or else both ammi and abbu will be worried.

I step into the kitchen and find ammi cooking.

Ammi turns around when I take my seat at the table and smiles, “what happened, beta?”

I shake my head and pick an apple. Ammi hands me a knife and a plate. I thank her and start cutting.

“Arzo?” I look up at ammi's concerned voice, “what's wrong? You've been like this for days. You're not even talking to Hafsah.”

If I talk to api, I will tell her everything. And that's the last thing I want to do.

“It's nothing,” I sign, then turn my attention to finishing my apple. Ammi doesn't ask me any further questions.

Ammi continues cooking and I quietly finish eating my fruit.

Assalamu Alaikum,” abbu greets as he enters the kitchen.

Wale Kum Assalam,” we greet back.

Abbu comes towards me and engulfs me in a warm hug. I give him a small smile.

“Are you okay, beta?”

I nod. Abbu kisses my head.

“I have something to inform you both.”

“What is it?” ammi asks.

“Hafsah’s brother-in-law, Zahid, called me.” I look up at Abbu, frowning, “He wants to talk to me about something so I invited him over tomorrow.”

“Do you know what he wants to talk to you about?”

“No. But I hope everything is alright.”

“Beta, do you know something?”

I look at ammi and shake my head.

Faizan has never visited our home. Even during the time of api and Zahid bhai’s meetings.

Abbu tells ammi the time Faizan will be arriving at home and it’s during the time I’ll be at work so I wouldn’t be able to eavesdrop. I will have to wait till I get home to find out the reason behind his visit.

Whatever it is, I hope nothing bad happens.