𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟖

Faizan

“Ya Allah, I have always been grateful for whatever You have given me. The reason for my success is You. Ya Allah, I am asking you- begging you- to make her my naseeb. Write her name with mine.” I say as I talk to my Lord, “Make her my wife in this world and in the akhirah. I am ready to give up anything in this world to have her. Ya Allah, guide me through the right path in making her mine, help me in becoming the best partner I can be for her, forgive me for any wrong intention I might have intentionally or unintentionally. Ameen.”

Most of the tension releases from my body as I finish talking to my Lord.

After I talked to Arzo’s father about wanting to discuss something with him and he invited me over to his house, my sleep was taken away.

I am not the kind of person who would overthink but last night, I thought about every possible scenario- good and bad- that could happen after asking her hand for marriage.

She could say no and rather marry her cousin. I haven’t made a good impression in front of her. All our interactions were sudden. We’ve barely exchanged one or two words.

Because of my thoughts, I spent the night talking to my Lord. it’s hard to back out now that I have admitted I want to marry her. Especially when I have my brother texting me ‘I knew ittt’ almost every hour. I might just block him.

I exit the prayer room, which is located on the ground floor of our company and find Farhan entering the building.

Since he decided to get hurt, I told him to come in late if he wants to. And he followed my guideline like a perfect student because it was something he wanted.

“Good morning, my friend.” he says, grinning.

“It’s afternoon.”

“Well, I woke up an hour ago, so,” he shrugs.

“Anyways, you need to look over everything for a few hours.”

“Why? Where are you going?”

“To Arzo’s house.”

His eyes widen, “what?” he blinks multiple times, “Did you just say-”

“Yes.”

“May I ask why?”

“To ask her hand in marriage-”

Farhan dramatically gasps as soon as the sentence leaves my mouth. “Is the world ending?”

I roll my eyes, “I’m leaving.”

I step aside to leave but he blocks my way, “wait, wait, you can’t just drop a bomb and leave.”

“I don’t want to keep her baba waiting.”

“Aww, look at you wanting to make a good impression with your in-laws.” he says, smiling “you owe me an explanation when you come back.”

“Fine. Allah Hafiz.” I say and start walking towards the exit.

Allah Hafiz! Make me proud!”

I shake my head as I exit the building and make my way towards my car. The valet hands me my keys, I get in and drive to Saeed’s house.

It’s not a long drive to his house and soon the vintage modern exterior of his house comes into view.

This is my first time coming here, I never visited their house during the meetings between our families and his for Zahid’s wedding. The first time we met was at the engagement.

I park my car aside, step out and make my way towards the entrance.

Their house stands out the most from all the houses located in the neighborhood. The house not only looks ravishing but it also gives a homely feeling.

The outside lawn decorated with beautiful flowers and green grass gives an admiring look to the vintage exterior of the house.

I ring the doorbell of the house and after a moment, the door opens revealing a middle-aged woman.

Assalamu Alaikum,” I greet her as I step inside.

Wale Kum Assalam,” she greets back and closes the door, “Mister Saeed is in his study. Third door down the hallway.”

“Okay, thank you.”

I make my way towards the direction the woman just told me and come across the closed door. I knock on the door twice. After a moment, I hear the door unlock, it opens and in stands Saeed.

Assalamu Alaikum, Mister Khan.”

Wale Kum Assalam, beta.” he says with a warm smile and opens the door wider for me to come in, “and please, Saeed is fine. Come in.”

I follow Saeed inside and we take our seat on the couch placed in the study.

“How are you?” he asks.

“I’m doing good, Alhumdulillah. How are you?”

“I’m good as well, Alhumdulillah.”

“So, during the call yesterday I said I wanted to talk to you about something,”

“Yes.”

“The reason why I wanted to talk to you is because I want to ask Arzo’s hand in marriage.” I say, suddenly the sound of my thumping heart is loud in my ears, “You can ask me any questions you want and I assure you I will answer them truthfully.”

After listening to me, Saeed gives me a warm smile, “Well, I am happy to know you are interested in my daughter. As much as I am glad it is you, you cannot expect me to be any less hard.”

I nod, “Yes, I understand.”

Saeed and I start talking about main topics such as my business, my vision for the future and my intention. Soon enough, we fall into a comfortable conversation, the maid brings us some drinks and sweets as well.

Then after a while we come to the end of the conversation, where Saeed says, “I want you to keep in mind that this will be Arzo’s decision. No matter what, I will not force my daughter to accept a proposal she does not want to.”

“Of course, I understand.”

He smiles then we get up for my leave. Saeed gives me a hug, I thank him for his time and then he leads me to the exit.

I talked to her baba, the next steps relies on Allah.

Ya Allah, please make her mine.