𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟒

Faizan

I contemplated attending the dinner at Zahid’s house, considering he started texting me saying that I could tell him the name and he’d take our parents to her house.

I succeeded in ignoring those texts but I can’t ignore this dinner because that would just make everyone suspicious.

So, as soon as I’m done with work, I leave for Zahid’s. I’m usually the last one to leave the office because my house isn’t my favorite place to spend my time. The silence of my house isn’t comforting, it only makes my thoughts louder and one by one those dark times repeat in front of my eyes to the point I think I won’t live.

But I do. I force myself to be calm, distract myself then I go into my room and recite the Quran loud enough for my voice to reach each wall.

Then I try to sleep.

I exit my car and walk towards the entrance door.

Zahid moved from a penthouse into a mansion after his wedding was fixed. He wanted a place big enough where his future children could run around and he’d be forced to catch them.

I am not kidding. Those are his words.

I ring the doorbell and it echoes inside the halls before the door opens, revealing Zahid’s maid. We both greet each other before I step inside.

“Everyone is in the living room,” she says.

“Okay, thank you.”

I make my way towards the living room where I find everyone sitting, talking.

Assalamu Alaikum,” I say as I step in.

Everyone looks at me and greets back, “wale kum Assalam,”

Zahid gets up and hugs me, I pat his back before he pulls away and I take a seat on the couch with baba and him.

“How are you, Faizan?” Hafsah asks.

“I’m good, Alhumdulillah. How are you?”

“I’m well, Alhumdulillah.” she says with a smile, “I am so glad you could make it. Zahid told me you’re very busy with work, I really appreciate it.”

“Oh, it’s no problem.”

She smiles then looks at mama, “I’m going to go check on the food,”

“Oh, I’ll come along.”

“No, no, it’s okay-”

“I insist. I’m coming.”

Hafsah chuckles, “okay.”

Mama and Hafsah get up and leave the room.

“So, how are both of your businesses going?” baba asks.

“Good. Alhumdulillah.” both me and Zahid reply.

“Did you try to contact him?” baba asks me.

I shake my head, looking away. Baba releases a sigh.

“Faizan, you won’t get any answers if you hide in the shadows.”

“I don’t want answers.”

“Yes, you do. You need closure.”

When I don’t say anything for a while, baba lets out another sigh and says, “we’re worried about you.”

“I’m fine, baba.”

He doesn’t touch the topic again.

To break the awkward silence, my brother speaks, “so, are we not going to discuss what you said on the call?”

Both of our heads turn towards Zahid.

“What did he say?” baba asks, frowning.

“Nothing.” I say behalf of Zahid.

“Well, you see-”

“I said nothing.” I cut Zahid off.

“You know, there is really nothing wrong if you like someone- ow!” he rubs the side where I elbowed him, “what is wrong with you?”

“I don’t like anyone. Shut up.”

Zahid turns to baba, “he’s lying,”

“Do you like someone?” baba asks me.

“No. Zahid is delusional.”

“I am not delusional. I know what I heard.”

Before I can say anything further, Hafsah comes in to announce that dinner is ready.

Zahid is the first one to jump up and follow his wife to the dining room, baba chuckles at his act while I shake my head at him.

We make our way into the dining room and take our seats. Zahid pulls a chair for his wife and gestures her to sit first. Mama makes an ‘aww’ sound which makes Hafsah blush and Zahid grin.

After he's done showing off, he finally takes a seat and we start eating. Everyone mingles in a light conversation which only includes me nodding.

“Oh, how is Arzo?” mama asks.

“She’s good.” Hafsah replies, “she’s doing really well,”

I pour myself a glass of water.

“I hope you don’t mind but are your parents planning on getting Arzo married? Your Aunt told me, she was going to marry her son-”

I choke on my drink as soon as mama says the sentence.

Everyone’s attention turns towards me, I’m quick to handle myself and mutter, “sorry,”

“Are you okay?” Hafsah says, concerned.

“Yes. sorry.”

“It’s okay,” she says then turns to mama, “um, yes, she does want Shoaib and Arzo to get married but… it’s honestly Arzo’s choice.”

“Of course. That’s right.”

Why would Arzo marry that guy? Isn’t he the one who made her upset at the wedding?

What if the proposal is from someone else?

My body locks at the thought.

I catch Zahid raising an eyebrow at me but I ignore him.

She can marry whoever she likes.

Why does that thought not sit right with me?