00

Scholarships.

I've never seen someone who was so desperate to get my father's scholarship program. I do know that a lot of incoming college students were all dying to get a slot, but not as desperate as this one.

Maybe, it was her determination and the need to get on the list of scholars is the reason that one summer day she had caught my attention.

She looked simple with her faded black shirt, worn out jeans and rugged rubber shoes. Her aura of screaming simplicity radiated on that day. No fancy accessories were attached on her body, just a simple girl who is an average lady student begging for a grace.

Nothing is special to her, but my heart had its own way to summarize her whole being - who became me also.

I could still remember her eyes.

Those pitch black eyes, that screams that she's not a girl who could be taken down by words. Those intense black eyes that reflected her perseverance to achieve her dreams.

Those eyes who could take me in heaven in one single glance.

When her gaze caught mine at that moment, I remember how it felt and weakening. That for the first time, I am aware that my soul has awakened with something I've never felt.

Remembering how it feels when I've met the coldest person that has an empire of icebergs surrounding her heart, the personality where even fire could not melt those icy blue black eyes.

She was indeed an independent and a strong girl, from the way she talks and her choice of words, the tone and firmness are still imprinted on my mind.

It was a tattoo forever reflected in my eyes, that even time and new love couldn't erase it.

"Ma'am parang awa na po, payagan niyo na po akong i-take yung assessment test. Kakagaling ko lang po sa part time job, marami pong customer sa restaurant kaya hindi ako kaagad nakaalis. Sige na po, kailangan na kailangan ko po iyon. Payagan niyo na po ako."

"Pasensya ka na, hindi talaga kita mapagbibigyan. Ansabi ng assigned proctor mo is late ka raw dumating, at alam mo rin siguro na nasa instruction na kapag nahuli sa call time at grace period hindi na bibigyan ng recon. Nakasaad sa rules na bawal malate at yung nalate ay hindi na pagtetake-an ng exam."

It was not my kind to interfere in people's affairs especially if it involves my father's programs and public work. As a son of a politician, the last thing I wanna get immersed with is my father's public affairs.

That day, I was there to tell my father that I would not be able to attend the campaign for my Uncle Timo on his candidacy for Mayor.

I still need to focus on finalizing my requirements and school documents I need to pass.

Summer has just started and two months for me to endure everything before I leave this place is frustrating. Leaving and freedom is the most wanted thing for me.

I badly want to go to London and finish my degree there. August is the start of the academic school year and my take off is in June.

Too much waiting to get my ticket and be done. It's hard being a good son every time.

But in London, I could do whatever I want without people watching me to meet their criteria and standards. There would be no expectations from me to goddamn smile and show gentleness to every person in this city.

"Ma'am, kahit kalahati lang nung oras ng examination time ibigay niyo sa akin, sasagutin ko po yun. Basta hayaan niyo lang ako magtake. Parang awa niyo na po, mahirap lang po kami. Wala po kaming pera. Kailangan ko po ang scholarship na ito,"