01

Clock tells us about time, but never thought that time would slow down whenever she is around me.

Her movement shows how important each hand of the clock that ticks. They remind me of how seconds rapidly pass by when you are not waiting but slows down whenever you wish for happier moments to last.

Time is the definition of what she is, that the more you spend days and weeks, the more things you'll know about her.

Fate and timing, these things never coexisted in my life. Always been a believer that you are the one who drives your path in this life. Never a lucky star, never a leaf catcher.

But in every stranger you meet, they are meant either to stay, or go and give you a lesson.

Like she is, she was there to be my whole summer. She was there to bring those withered flowers to be alive and bloomed as the sun danced along their petals.

And another first time in my life is that, I believed in second chances when I saw her quietly sitting beside the front desk table of Mara.

Two weeks had passed of being guilty of what I did, but to see her formally seated in the receiving area makes my heart dance in relief.

"Good morning, Sir." She greeted me when I walked past her.

She was wearing a white uniform shirt that compliments her simplicity. The usual get up of those who work in the capital is projected to her.

But her eyes never met mine, she's slightly bowed down. It was a relief since I don't know if I can bravely look her in the eye after what happened last time.

A freshly white sampaguita perpetually hanging on one of the statues on the long table beside on the wall near her.

The sampaguita looks so pure in its white context and the smell of it reminds you of the fresh summer mornings you had when you were a child.

During the term of my father as the governor, the first thing that would greet you when you enter his office is groups of files chronologically arranged in his office table and a divider cabinet.

The big frame of his picture hanging on the white wall, the government seals and documents are the typical office look of a politician.

Mara is inside the office and discussing matters with my father. Governor Boni asked me what made me visit his office and I replied that I am killing my time and his office is a peaceful escape from the summer heat.

I love peace and being alone, if it's not involving my family and friends I won't even dare to come and say my opinion.

Casually laying on the long leather sofa while browsing my phone, checking some updates and surfing the net are the definition of my summer existence.

Going to London was the thing who could save me from being untainted and perfect.

"Tawagan ko lang si Joey, Sir." And my eyes casually followed Mara walking out to the door.

Her name is Joey.

What an unusual name for a girl like her who has a very fierce and determined personality to get my father's scholarship.

But, why do I feel like a boy who got what he wanted for Christmas. Why do I feel happy just merely knowing her name?

That's not even a beautiful name. Maybe thousands or millions of people in the world have this name!

"A-assist mo si Mara sa pagfafile at check lahat ng ito sa excel. Bale tatype mo tapos double check ni Mara."

"Opo, Gov." Joey obediently said.