Chapter 21 - A Pledge of Faith To You: The Final Chapter

Music: Castle - The Huntsman: Winter's War

Months have passed since Moon's passing, but for me, the pain is still fresh, a constant ache in my heart. As I stand on her graveside, the wind whispers through the trees, carrying with it a sense of peace and solace.

"I miss you, Moon," I say, my voice soft and heavy on my throat. "Everyday, I miss you."

I kneel down, placing a bouquet of tulips and a jar of white sand on her grave, a small token of the memories of what Moon liked to call "our beach". As I trace her name on the headstone with my fingertips, I feel her as if she's still beside me.

"You were taken from me too soon," I continued, my voice filled with resolve. "But, I promised you, I will do everything in my power to make sure no one else has to suffer like you did."

My hand lands on the bottom of her stone, tightening my grasp as I would with her hand. I had spent countless hours in the lab in Russia, researching, experimenting, and finally I found it – a cure for cancer that had taken my Moon from me. A cure that could cure any illness and give strength to hundreds of people.

"I've found a cure, Moon," I say, my voice overflowing with hope. "A cure that could change the world."

As I tell her this, I feel a sense of peace wash over me, a feeling that Moon was watching over me, guiding me. I knew that she would always be with me, a part of me, urging me to keep going, to never give up hope.

"I'm sorry it took me a while to visit you, my love." I say as I stand up and look far into the distance, my hands in my pocket, and the water in front of me reminding me of the times I had with Moon. "I had to travel to Russia for all the things I needed to make this happen. And, finally, I'm back here to finish what I started."

The wind blows through my hair and I close my eyes – images of Moon overflowing in my mind.

"While I was there, I only thought of you. My mind and my heart, it only screamed your name. And, it gave me the motivation to continue on no matter how difficult it was for me. Living this life without you is hard, Moon. Nothing is the same as it was before."

As I place my hand in my pocket, a small object crosses my fingertips. It's her ring. I fumble with it as I remember her name. I remember that quiet smile of Moon, the one she always used to let me know that nothing in this world is ever too difficult as long as we believed we could do it. I remember her scent and the feeling of her skin in my hands like she was still here. The moments we had together – the laughter and the cries.

"My Anton" she would call me when she wanted me to be strong and when she wanted to let me know how much she loved me.

"I realized one thing when I was in Russia, Moon. I hated it when they called me Anton. I hate that name on their lips because they never deserved it. I loathe it every time I hear that name and I turn around and you're not there. I hated every single moment of that name not being said by you. And, I hated that that name never gave you the life you deserved. I miss you calling me, Moon. I miss your voice. I miss you." I pause to let the tears escape my eyes, the hot streak staining my cheek. "I miss you so much."

My heart beats louder and I feel the determination surging through my veins. I feel the anger and resentment of not being enough to have saved Moon.

I clenched my fists, my jaw tightening and her ring burying on the palm of my hand. "But, I will make everything right. I can make everything right again. I found the cure for what took you from me."

Opening my eyes, my gaze hardens as I look out over the cemetery. "Right now, I've returned to take back what I lost. I've returned to bring you justice. No one will ever know the name "Anton". No one will ever have the right to know my past the way you did. No one will ever use that name that was created only for you. I am stronger and better than I was before. Today until my last dying breath...." I pause to look at Moon's headstone, my eyes swelling with tears as I feel the heaviness in my heart when I read those words engraved

My Moon

A friend, a savior, and a wife.

The sky closes in on me and the wind blows stronger. I know you're watching me, Moon. I know you're hugging me from afar. And, I know, your love still lives in me. Walking away, my mind filled with thoughts of revenge and redemption. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but for Moon, I am willing to go through the ends of the world.

"I am Ryu Shio."