Chapter 13

Ethan looked down at the vibrating cell phone, his brother Caleb's name on the screen. He sighed in annoyance and rejected the call again. His eyes returned to the window outside. The buildings of the city changed so quickly. Cars moved like lightning.

His phone vibrated again. He opened it to make sure it wasn't Noah. Even though he was sure that Noah would never call him, not even for the most important things. He was sure that even in a life-and-death situation Noah wouldn't think of calling him.

Was he overreacting to Noah's fear of him? Could it be that Juan's words were true, that he should give the young man his freedom?

No, he shouldn't. If he let Noah go and gave him his freedom, he would lose him forever.

Ethan clenched his hands involuntarily. He looked out the window, but his mind was all over the place. He kept telling himself that what he was doing to Noah was for the best. The young man should be grateful to him for taking care of him. Only he could and would do all this for him. Noah should have realized that.

The car drove slowly through the gate and made its way through the trees to the mansion. The beautifully manicured gardens could not make Ethan feel any better.

Juan stopped the car when it was in front of the mansion. He was opening the car door for Ethan when his cell phone rang. He immediately looked up at his boss when he saw his name on the screen.

"Mr. Emanuel, should I..."

"Ignore him," Ethan cut him off before Juan could finish his sentence. He knew what his father was about to say. It must have been Caleb who told the old man everything.

"Forgive me for talking so much. But it seems that this matter must be dealt with quickly. Harvey won't keep quiet after what happened," Juan said, following Ethan after handing the car keys to a guard.

"What are you saying? Has something happened to Harvey? Should I know?" replied Ethan and walked quickly towards Noah's room.

Juan said nothing. He hoped that Ethan could get out of his self-made trouble. Harvey was a famous tycoon who wouldn't keep quiet if anything happened to his favorite son. But it seemed that Ethan chose to act clueless after what he had done.

Juan was startled when he almost bumped into Ethan's body, which stopped abruptly in front of him. He stared at the slightly open door to Noah's room. Because of the many things he was thinking about, he just realized that there were many people's voices in there. He was immediately cautious because Ethan was unique. He didn't like kids or crowds. He was afraid that Noah would get into trouble.

"Do you want me to send them away?" Juan asked. It would be better than Noah having to face Ethan's unfounded anger.

Ethan told him to shut up. "You can do something else," Ethan said and asked Juan to leave.

After Juan left, Ethan concentrated on staring at Noah's room from the crack in the open door. He wanted to go in and chase them away, but his hand stopped at the doorknob. He couldn't believe the sight before his eyes, leaving him stunned for a few moments.

The teenagers in the room seemed to be mingling and chatting. Nothing in particular, but what caught Ethan's attention was the figure of Noah, who looked fit and radiant at the moment. The young man laughed with a smile that Ethan had never seen before.

As he stared, Ethan thought, when had he ever seen Noah laugh? He thought the young man was gloomy and unenthusiastic every day. But when he saw Noah now, he felt that he didn't know Noah completely. That hurt him. How could Noah be happier with someone other than the one who had always fed and sheltered him?

Ethan clenched his fists, torn between anger and jealousy. It was a feeling he didn't know how to deal with. He was even surprised by his actions afterwards.

Ethan opened the door, instantly stopping the laughter in the room. He was greeted with a surprised look from the teenager inside who was currently sitting around Noah on the bed. And his eyes went to Noah, who was wide-eyed. The smiling face he had just seen turned into a look of fear. A look he was used to seeing.

"E-Ethan... are you home?" Noah's voice sounded hoarse. Ethan looked at the details of Noah's behavior as he walked over. Noah's hands were clenched tightly in the blanket that currently covered his lower parts.

"Did you have a good time?" said Ethan, looking at Noah's friends one by one. They seemed quite surprised by his arrival and also surprised by Noah's current reaction.

"They'll be home soon. They just came to visit me," Noah explained before Ethan asked. But as he seemed to know, Ethan was more interested in chasing them away than in asking why.

Ethan smiled and stood on the edge of the bed. He forced Greg to move.

Greg stared intently at Ethan, and then his gaze shifted to Noah, who instantly turned pale. He exchanged glances with the rest of his friends. Seeing that Noah was uncomfortable, he finally took the initiative to say goodbye.

"I think we should go," Greg said.

"Ah, yes. We only came to see Noah because he didn't go to school today. But as long as he's okay, that's great," Veronica added.

Ethan nodded. "He's fine as you can see. He just has a fever, but nothing to worry about."

They all nodded awkwardly. Noah was silent, his hands cold. He was surprised when Ethan rubbed his bare back.

"E-hh... We'll meet tomorrow, guys," Noah said, trying to get his friends to leave as soon as possible. Ethan's behavior already made him uncomfortable.

Ethan interrupted before they could answer, "Come have lunch with us. I'm sure Noah would love it."