chapter 21

author's note: this chapter is on the short side but i'm excited for the next one. the yacht episode is one of my favs

Lucy accompanied Roman to drinks at his father's place once they were all back in the city. Logan wanted the family and some business executives to gather to watch as one of those investigative journalism news shows released their episode about the cruise scandal.

Kendall showed up alone, but was obviously amused at something on his phone, which he kept smiling at and chuckling as everyone made drinks and got settled for the show to start. Lucy noticed this, but only briefly. She allowed herself to focus solely on Roman. They drank expensive scotch. Lucy usually hated scotch, but Roman insisted that this was solely because she had never had good scotch. These days, she tended to do most anything Roman wanted, so she had a glass. It was just as disgusting as every other scotch she had ever tried, but she didn't tell him that. The two sat side by side on the love seat, Kendall on the couch opposite them, as Logan's housekeeper turned the TV to the correct channel.

Tom began booing when the program started, and everyone else joined in. Lucy laughed, resting her head on Roman's shoulder.

"Well Susan, I'm a piece of shit," Roman mocked the former Waystar employee who was featured on the show. "I'm a weasel, and I'm scared."

The group continued to make comedic commentary despite the severity of the claims being made.

"Oh I can't watch any more of this fucking bullshit," Logan grumbled five minutes in, turning off the TV and leaving the room, effectively altering the mood.

Lucy attempted to return to chatting with Roman, but instead, her boyfriend followed his father out into the hallway like a loyal dog. He left Lucy alone, sitting directly across from Kendall. Everyone else began to disperse, engaging in their own conversations and going to get another drink.

 Kendall and Lucy's eyes met for a brief moment and he cleared his throat, standing up from the couch. His mind felt clouded. He had taken two lines before he left the house and was currently drinking wine. He was fatigued and also irritated at having to spend time with Roman and Lucy. He hated that his brother insisted on bringing her everywhere like some kind of trophy. He had also been sexting with Naomi, who was admittedly witty and attractive, but he was finding it hard to focus on anything.

"I uh...I'm gonna go to the bathroom and grab another drink."

Lucy smiled at him, that sympathetic half smile she had been giving him since they broke up. It drove him fucking crazy. "Okay Ken."

Everyone began to scramble after Shiv got word that the Senate was asking for hearings. 

"This is such a shit show," Lucy mumbled to Roman as they watched employees rush around the apartment, debating courses of action.

"Right?," Roman replied, pouring Lucy a glass of wine upon realizing she had barely drank any of her scotch. "Thank God I don't have to go to fucking D.C."

Lucy admired him as he poured the wine, appreciating his observation. "You're not going? Why?"

"Dad has me going to fucking...Turkey or some shit to see Eduard. Wanna join?"

"I wish I could. I'm sure Ken is gonna want me in D.C."

"Fuck what Kendall wants," Roman dismissed this with the wave of his hand.

Lucy smiled, leaning against the table and into him. "Yeah I mean hypothetically like fuck what Kendall wants but also he is the one who writes my checks so..."

"I guess that's why they say not to fuck people you work with," Roman shrugged with a joking smirk.

"I guess so."