Chapter 5

Gatherings were held in a light bluish-gray brick building surrounded by a large parking lot. The outside looked conspicuously like a church or rec center. Take your pick.

That morning's lecture, predictably, had to do with St. Valentine's and the dangers of love spells. Graylee's mom listened attentively on the bench beside her as their chapter president, Mr. Holloway, spoke.

"Love is a more powerful force than magic. You can trick the mind and even the heart, but never the soul. When a person is not free to love with their soul, that is not love and that is why a love spell can never truly work."

Blah, blah, blah. Graylee picked at her cuticles. Mind control and love spells had never interested her. Now moving objects with the mind—that was fun.

"It can get lonely, being gifted," Mr. Holloway droned on. "But that is why we're here. We're here for each other."

Oh, brother. Graylee pictured Charlene curled up on the couch at home watching back-to-back episodes of Glee and had to bite back a frustrated sigh. It was at times like these that Graylee missed her sister. Neither of them were fond of Gathering. They paired up when partnering was required, which today—naturally—it was.

After lecture, their peer leader asked that they team up with a partner. Graylee felt her palms begin to sweat. She was fairly certain that Ryan had glanced in her direction. There was no way she was enduring an hour of one-on-one time with Ryan Phillips. He'd probably spend the hour peppering her with questions about Charlene. If she didn't act fast, she'd be stuck. Ryan was already moving her way.

Graylee took three large steps over to Nolan Knapp. "Hey, want to be partners?"

His initial surprise was immediately followed by a smile. "Yeah."

Nolan was cute in a boy's band sorta way. Although they were in the same grade at McKinley High, Graylee never saw him around school. He'd moved to Kent sophomore year. She might have crushed on him if he weren't a warlock—another preference Graylee and her sister shared: No dating warlocks!

Nolan brushed his bangs out of his eyes and smiled as if to say, Why not? Think about it.

There was nothing to think about. Graylee didn't date warlocks, period. Anyway, he didn't make her heart patter.

Shay Baxter stared in their direction before joining a group of children in the adjoining room. Shay had been recruited as a peer leader to coach the coven's youngest members. Graylee would have loved working with kids, sharing her joy of magic and discovery. But she had nothing to teach.

"Today we'll work on basics then discuss how they can be used for advanced purposes," their peer leader announced. "You and your partner should start by practicing what you consider elementary magic."

Elementary magic. Was this for Graylee's benefit?

She turned to Nolan and pasted a smile over her face. As far as he knew, Graylee was merely related to witches.

"Elementary," Nolan mused. His brows lifted. "Moving small objects. Opening and closing doors. Floating."

He was probably being nice by listing these abilities rather than performing them. Beside them, Ryan was already floating two feet off the floor. Not all witches and warlocks were capable of performing the same spells, but certain basics, like the aforementioned, should have come naturally to any offspring of a witch and warlock.

Graylee looked from Ryan to Nolan. "I wish I could float."

Nolan's forehead wrinkled. "Why can't you?"