Chapter 12

The worst thing about being Charlene wasn't the hair or even the miniskirt—it was hanging out with her friends.

Don't think of it as being Charlene, her mom had instructed, imagine yourself as an actress on Glee... without the singing and dancing.

Gray reached around to her backside for the tenth time that morning. It felt like her pleated skirt was tucked inside her underwear, but alas, it was just really short. That was why she kept feeling a cool draft on her bare bronzed legs. Leave it to Charlene to come up with a tanning spell. Charlene hadn't figured out how to make it permanent, though, and it had to be "applied" every morning—like putting on clothes.

"Oh my god, Char, you look great," Kiki said.

Time for her lines and they didn't include "Thanks."

"How else would I look?"

Kiki giggled.

Apparently being rude wasn't just clever, but witty as well.

Brittany smirked. Her skirt was equally micro, but her legs were shorter, which made it less obvious.

"Hi, beautiful." Blake approached from behind and wrapped his arms around Gray. Spiced clove filled her nostrils. She wasn't sure if it was supposed to be deodorant or cologne. Blake's arms tightened and he squeezed her against his torso and thighs.

Gray resisted the urge to swat him away or stomp on his foot. This became increasingly difficult when one hand slid down to her backside.

Thank god for Charlene's No Sex with Blake rule or Gray might just throw herself at him. Gag!

Gray took a step forward. "God, Blake, can't you keep your hands to yourself for one second?"

He grinned. "Not when you're around."

Kiki giggled.

Gray heard the snap of a lighter and turned her head. Raj McKenna was walking by. Gray's heart pounded inside her ribcage, but Raj barely glanced at her. She watched him pass and then stared at his back. It was almost as if she'd imagined him calling out her name and running after her the week before.

Her real name.

How had Raj known?

Obviously he didn't think that was the case now, unless his nonchalance was an act. Her heart dropped into the pit of her stomach as he rounded the corner.

Gray was dead to the rest of the world. Literally.

Brittany looped her arm around Gray's and took off with her down the hall. "Does Blake know you hooked up with Todd Hanson?" She didn't even bother whispering.

"What?" Gray glanced quickly over her shoulder, but Blake and Kiki were no longer standing by their lockers.

She tried to think fast. Charlene hadn't made any notations about Todd Hanson. Why would she hook up with the senior basketball captain when she was in love with Blake?

"I don't think so," Gray said. She turned to Brittany. "Do you?"

Brittany considered this for several seconds before scrunching up her pert nose. "Naw."

"Todd is really hot," Gray said, fishing for information.

"I'd do him."

Not the kind of information she was looking for.

"Do you think Blake would dump me if he found out?"

"Whatever. It's not like you two are exclusive. If he can screw Jenna Hocking you have every right to go get some hot senior ass."