Chapter 22

No calling Gray, Raj told himself for the tenth time since the soul-searing kiss she'd pressed into his lips earlier that morning.

Fine, but he had to do something.

Raj drove to the edge of town and parked on the street outside of Adrian's business. He pulled out his lighter and snapped it open and shut, staring at the building for what felt like an eternity before getting out. Raj hadn't been by in two months. Finally, he pushed open his car door and stepped to the pavement.

Adrian's place didn't have an awning like the surrounding shops, but an Old English– style sign hanging from a hook against the building.

Hedrick the Healer

With a Celtic design underneath.

The bell over the door tinkled when Raj entered. "Adrian, you here?"

"In back."

"Are you with someone?"

"Not for another hour."

Raj followed Adrian's voice into the back room. Adrian closed a text as Raj walked in and shoved it into an open space on his bookshelf. "I knew you'd be back. Great timing, too. I just let your replacement go."

"Not up to par?"

"He made a man grow hair out of his nose rather than on his head."

Raj did a quick scan of the packed bookshelves before resting his eyes on Adrian. "Adding cosmetic enhancements to the menu?"

"Baldness is an unfortunate condition." Adrian's lips curled back as he ran a hand through his own thick locks. "I hope you're not rusty, McKenna, because I'm backlogged."

"Actually, I'm here for a favor."

"Favor," Adrian repeated as though the word was worse than baldness.

"Do you still have your primordial texts?"

"I keep everything. What are you looking for?"

"Body transfers."

Adrian smirked. "Getting a little too big for your britches, are you? Why would you want to look up a thing like that?"

"For a friend."

"Raj, buddy, you have talent, but stay away from the body transfers. That sort of thing generally doesn't go well."

Raj rubbed his hand over the lump the Zippo made in his jeans pocket. "I'll give your bald man hair... on his head."

"I have three more screw-ups that need fixing."

"Done."

"And a long wait-list."

Raj sighed. "Book them after school."

Adrian clapped his hands together. "We're back in business!" He smacked Raj on the shoulder. "Don't worry about your friend. Under my direction you'll get them their thinner body or younger exterior or whatever their heart desires."

Again Raj sighed.

The bell on the front door clanked abruptly. "Adrian!"

Adrian's grin widened as he pushed through the curtain to the main chamber. "Coming."

Raj followed behind Adrian. A stalky older woman walked forward. With her babushka tied under her chin she looked like one of the matchmakers from Fiddler on the Roof. She set an old Superman lunch pail and soup thermos in the center of the round table. "Lunch."

If this was Adrian's mom, just how old was Adrian?

"Thanks, Nana."

Ah.