Chapter 8

It wasn't the beeping of her alarm, but the pounding of her head that woke Gray up the next morning. The pressure in her skull was debilitating. It felt like an anvil pressing her head into the pillow. She lay in bed a moment longer before slowly lifting up.

"What the heck?" Gray's mouth fell open.

Why the hell was she in Charlene's bedroom?

Gray felt something scratchy against her bosom. She looked down. And what the freak was she doing sleeping in Charlene's lace slip?

The headache was momentarily forgotten. Gray swung her legs out of bed and stomped to her room. "Charlene!" If this was her sister's idea of a joke...

But Charlene wasn't in Gray's room. Obviously she hadn't slept in Gray's bed, either. It was neatly made. Someone had tidied up the objects on her armoire and dresser and picked up her discarded clothes.

"Mom!" Gray called next, marching down the hall to her mother's room.

She pushed the door open. Empty.

Again, what the freak?

The hospital.

Gray jolted to a stop. Oh, god, Charlene! She'd seemed okay the night before—she'd been giving herself a facial—but maybe she just wanted to look her best before offing herself.

Was that why Gray had been sleeping in her sister's bed? Had her mom rushed off to the hospital while Gray fell into Char's pillows sobbing herself to sleep then somehow blocked out the whole traumatic event?

And thrown on Charlene's slip while she was at it?

That was just weird.

Gray hurried down the stairs and into the kitchen. There was a note on the countertop.

Charlene:

Got the call.

I'll be back Friday afternoon.

I love you.

Mom

Some Valentine's week this was turning out to be. Even Gray's own mother didn't love her.

Okay, so of course she knew her mom loved her, but not enough to leave her a note or at least include her in the address.

Well, then whatever.

Gray stormed back up the stairs and pulled off the negligee. She didn't even want to think about how creepy that was. As she stepped into a pair of underwear, Gray remembered she didn't have to dress herself anymore. Good, 'cause Thea was going to be there to pick her up in less than fifteen minutes. Gray snapped into a pair of embroidered jeans and a blouse.

She hurried down the stairs and poured herself a bowl of cereal. She rushed back up the stairs and began tearing her room apart looking for her backpack. Finally she located it in the far corner of her closet.

She couldn't imagine why her mom would tidy up her room all of a sudden. And what was The Call? Her mom hadn't mentioned anything. Maybe it had something to do with Charlene. Maybe she was getting her help. They had spent all that time talking in secret. Gray hoped that whatever kind of help it was involved a boarding school—preferably in a foreign country.

She wasn't ready to forgive her sister, especially now that she knew Charlene was okay. Kinda. Gray still wasn't clear where her sister was at the moment.

The sky was solid gray. So what else was new? Except maybe that it was much lighter than it should be, even for an overcast day. And warmer, too. The air didn't have the same bite to it, especially considering it'd been cold enough to snow the day before. Their street was ominously quiet. For a moment Gray had a chilling thought. What if she was the last person alive in the world? She shook it aside and let relief wash over her when a car passed.