Chapter 25

They started with Marc Phillips. It turned out that performing a memory wipe on a warlock was a lot more complicated than, say, a doctor or a waiter. There wasn't actually a powder or a potion. What Adrian brought back was magic smelling salts with the reverse effect of knocking a person out cold, which was what they needed in order to perform the memory wipe along with candles that required time to burn out completely. They only had to clear a small chunk of memory, the one involving Gray's visit earlier.

Adrian's instructions to Raj had been hasty and she hoped it worked. At least the magic salts had. Once Gray unscrewed the lid and held it under Mr. Phillips's nose his head rolled to one side. Apart from the rise and fall of his chest, he practically looked dead.

Gray exchanged a look with Raj. She reached around Mr. Phillips's neck and unfastened the pendant. She fastened it around her own neck for safekeeping.

Raj was already pulling candles out of his backpack and setting them on Mr. Phillips's dresser: three white and three red. The Zippo flicked open and he lit each wick. Then he pulled out the scraps of paper, reading over the first before burning it as he spoke: "Bit by bit Charlene shall fade, shall disappear."

Raj held the next scrap into the flame of the next candle. "Day by day this is as I say."

The third: "Memories from this afternoon shall disappear."

The fourth: "Sunk into a forgotten bay. As this paper is consumed in flame, memories of her shall burn away."

And the final candle: "All encounters and words gone from today."

There was no point making themselves invisible as they tiptoed down the stairs. If they made a noise, Ryan would hear them whether or not they were see-through and it was a lot easier to take the stairs quietly when they could see where they were placing their feet.

Max Curry's father was next. Raj sat outside the Currys' driveway, drumming his fingers on his steering wheel. Gray was determined not to rush him even as her last minutes ticked away. "Sorry," she said.

Raj continued drumming his fingertips on the steering wheel. "About what?" He stared absently out the windshield.

"For dragging you into this whole mess."

Raj stopped drumming and looked sideways at her. "I wanted to be dragged into it."

Gray stared at him a moment before climbing over the armrest and landing in his lap. She pressed her lips to his. At first Raj was so taken aback he didn't respond, but then he was kissing her, holding Gray cocooned in his embrace. Warmth spread from his hand where it was pressed in the hollow between Gray's shoulder blades. Raj's arm wrapped around Gray's lower back. His kiss was soft, determined, and adventurous.

Gray wanted him to touch her in all the places that ached, but Raj held her steady, mouth to mouth.

Gray rubbed against him and he chuckled softly. His hand slid down her back. Then it slid back up. He caressed her with a delicacy that put Gray into a trance. The movement sent shivers of pleasure through her body. All her muscles relaxed. Raj'sbody felt warm against hers.

Gray pulled back slightly to look at Raj, but only briefly. Looking at him made her want to kiss him anew. Their lips fell into a delicate rhythm. It seemed like it should feel awkward, kissing Raj McKenna, but it wasn't. Gray could kiss him till the end of time.

How could she have died and missed out on this?

Of all the reasons to be brought back, this was the best. Everyone should experience a kiss like this before parting.

Gray suppressed a sob. Raj followed her lead and stopped kissing her when Gray leaned back. She nestled her head against his shoulder.

"Um, Gray."