Chapter 18

Death and accidents were beginning to feel like a morbid obsession with Gray. Her eyes raced down the article she'd pulled up on the computer inside her room.

McKinley Teen in Critical Condition after Collision

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Stacey Lee Morehouse, 17, is in critical condition at Valley Medical Hospital after driving headfirst into a street lamp Friday evening.

Morehouse is the only daughter of local attorney Daniel Morehouse.

This tragedy falls two days after McKinley High junior Graylee Perez, 17, was found dead in her family home the morning of the 9th. Coroners have yet to determine the cause of death. Perez was in the same grade as Morehouse at McKinley High School.

Morehouse crashed into a light pole off Stanton and Third shortly after leaving her boyfriend's house at 9:40 p.m. Friday night. Paramedics performed CPR on the young woman after they arrived on the scene. They said she was found unconscious.

Police have yet to make a statement, but say alcohol was not a factor.

The cause of the crash has not yet been determined.

Oh, for freak's sake—were they kidding her? What was it with their paper and follow through?

Maybe teenage deaths and accidents were just too common an occurrence in Kent these days.

Gray headed toward the stairs to find her mom and grill her then stopped short. She recalled the dark circles she'd seen under her mom's eyes that morning. Even when Gray had returned from the hospital Mom had been holding her head at the dining room table, ancient texts spread open before her. That was why Gray had greeted then quickly bypassed her in favor of online research before she began firing away questions about Stacey Morehouse's accident.

Mom was worried. She'd already complained of a headache that wouldn't go away. Must be a migraine if Mom couldn't cast it off. Gray'd put together a calming potion. Just before heading up to her room she'd seen her mom drinking the warm brew in delicate sips. Gray wasn't about to go upset that calm now.

She took a step backwards, returned to her room, and closed the door.

Gray dialed the number Raj had given her. This was no time to text. Raj had barely answered when Gray fired her first question at him. "What do you know about Stacey Morehouse?"

"The coma girl?"

"Yeah."

"That she's in a coma."

Gray released an impatient sigh. "Was there ever an investigation into the cause of the crash?"

"Yeah, a big one. Her dad's some sort of hotshot attorney."

"So? What did they find?"

"Faulty brakes. Mr. Morehouse sued the car manufacturer."

"And what caused the faulty brakes?"

Gray began tapping her foot as the silence dragged on. Finally Raj said, "I wasn't part of the investigation, you know? Why are you interested in Stacey Morehouse anyway?"

"I think Charlene might have had something to do with her accident."

Another pause followed. Gray felt herself holding her breath. She squeezed her cell phone. It was one thing to have a sister who was manipulative, vain, selfish, and mentally unstable... but murderous?

"What makes you think that?"

Gray momentarily forgot her sister. Raj's voice deepened when it turned serious. Each word was like a sweet husk of corn being peeled back. His voice felt seductive so close to her ear. Gray reminded herself that she was mad at Raj for blabbing her secret to Shay Baxter.