1

In any fairytale everyone knows about the fate between a prince and a princess. The prince rescues the princess or the damsel in distress after prince defeats the wicked witch that either likes the prince or hates the princess. Witches were always described as vile, dirty, selfish and evil by all who knew of their existence in fairy tales.

I made it that way.

I lived deep inside a large tree at the heart of the forbidden forest. You may wonder how on earth did I manage to live inside a tree, well I'll get to that later. Anyway, we must attend to the matters at hand, we have a customer.  The large wooden oak door slowly creaked ajar, a tiny brunette peaked into my home. A new comer I guess, well that is to be expected since my customers are only allowed to come here once since this is a one time only transaction.

        I watched her as she slowly entered my home, unaware of my presence. She walked with her mouth agape as she surveyed my home. I dusted off my lilac gown before I slowly approached her.  She was so  engrossed with one of my odd sculptures of owls nested on the mantlepiece that she did not notice my presence.

I tapped her shoulder, "Welcome" I greeted. She almost fainted when she heard me, "Oh my!", placing   her hand on her chest to catch her breath.   I sported one of my best fake smiles, "You must be my new customer, "I said as I took a seat, placing my hands on the mahogany colored table. I motioned for her to sit, "Oh my thank you!", she replied sweetly as she slowly sat down the chair.   "My name is Lyra and I am the witch of all fairy tales, and I believe you know my area of expertise.

She hastily bobbed her little head in response. "Good, now I will present you a contract, you are free to decide what will happen to your story. You are the writer of this tale and I shall fulfill it to the utmost of my abilitiesNow, may I know your name?".

She stared at me in awe, I even noticed a slight sheen dribbling from her mouth, before she snapped into focus and replied, "I am Liliana Rowland, daughter of Archduke Robert Rowland", she almost curtsied,  then she suddenly remembered she was sitting so she pretended to look at her shoes.

I leaned back the chair, clasping my hands on my lap,"So who do wish to marry?" I asked. As if on cue her eyes grew as round as saucers, her cheeks suddenly turned as red as apples and her air of formality around us suddenly dissappeard.

" I want to marry  t-the p-prince of the STARS! kyaaa~". She replied, squealing like a strangled pig at the thought of this man.  Once again I forced myself and splayed one of the best fake smiles I have before hastily taking my  quill and paper at hand.

"Can you described him please?". She smiled and giggled a lot, "He has golden blond hair and and ooh ooh ooh! oh my yeah he has the most magnificent emerald eyes and the fairest skin I have ever seen kyaaa" she replies hastily. I tried hard to keep up with her descriptions.

After that I asked her about the setting, " what setting would you like? ". She thought for a minute then she pointed her finger at me and answered " I want to be poisoned by an apple!"

I shook  head " no I'm sorry that's already used"

" I forgot my glass slipper!"

I shook my head again " no"

" I let down my long braided hair! "

Ugh she was hopeless so I gave one for her " What about, let's say you were stranded in the . . .  where does the prince usually stay or spends his leisure time? " .

she thought for a while and finally she replied " at the training grounds near the El Rooche forest " she replied.

"So you where stranded or lost at saltus lux et Tenebrae. Just a few yards away from his majesty's training grounds".  She nodded her head countinuously in approval, "And then you cry for help because I placed a curse on the trees of the forest, they must never let you go until your prince defeats . . . hmmm . . .  let's say a powerful earth witch" I concluded. 

She vigorously nodded her head then clapped her hands together, " that's perfect . . . .  but  . . . ah . .  . there is a slight problem . . .  uh  . .  can you do me one more favor?", she inquired nervously. I smiled at her and replied, "what is it"? She raised her head and spoke, "Can you spy on the prince?".

I was in shock. . . 

I stared at her dumbfounded. How can I spy on the prince, that was not my duty. 

She looked at me then, she spoke I-I'll increase your pay by ten!" 

I looked at her " And how~ do you propose to do that" I asked in a mocking tone. She replied " The prince is the heir of one of the richest kingdoms in the land, our kingdom, so If we marry I would gain access to his money and I would be able to pay you". I replied almost instantly, "Did you say RICHEST!? So there will be MONEY right?". She nodded "yes". I leaned back slowly, massaging my temples with my fingertips, "Is there anything I should know before I spy on your prince? ". She replied "None that I know about ".

I nodded "good, you may go ". She gracefully rose from her seat then curtsied. She was about to leave when she spun around " Are you really the witch ?" she asked. " yes" I replied. She looked at me for a few moments then her eyes widened, it was as if she understood my predicament. " You look very pretty " she complemented. I smiled t her and replied " thanks ".

I watched her leave. I rose from my seat and I sat by the windowsill, this was going to be easy, since the prince seems to be you average pretty boy I guess this extra work should be a piece of cake!. 

Little did I know that taking that "extra work "  was the biggest mistake that I could ever have made.