chapter four || omurice

chapter four: OMURICE

"Please, Miruka-sama, give me those flashcards to study!"

The girl snorted, organising the cards loudly. "Go away, Ryuugi. You should have studied earlier!" Miruka snapped, glaring at him. "Get your own you lazy oaf."

The boy tutted angrily, stalking off to cram as much information as he could in the lunch break. She simply shrugged and took out her lunchbox and milk drink. Her eyes wandered across the classroom, falling onto Kenma who was leaving for volleyball practice.

"Gah! Kenma!" she shouted, earning confused but uncaring looks from their classmates. "Can I eat lunch with you?"

The blonde haired boy scrunched up his eyebrows and fiddled with the strap of his gym bag. "But I'm practising..."

"Can I watch you while you play, then?"

"I don't - "

"Kozume Kenma," bellowed Miruka comically, placing a hand on his shoulder which was a bit taller than her. "I swear I shall not bother you during practice and will cheer for you if you wish as I consume my tasty lunch."

He looked at her blankly, knowing that refusal was not in her vocabulary.

"Fine."

She fist-pumped the air with glee and dragged him by the arm as they made their way to the gymnasium.

• • •

"Hey, Kenma, why is Milk-chan here?" snapped Kuro, eyeing his best friend and his new accomplice suspiciously. "You've never spoken to each other before, let alone go anywhere together."

Kenma glanced at her, talking to the other teammates giddily. "... She came by her own accord."

Kuro exhaled frustratedly, walking over to her. Asano gasped and stopped eating her very appetising looking omurice. "I promise not to be a bother, Bedhead." Asano drawled, staring devilishly at him and his messy black hair when he was close enough.

"Just be quiet, Milk Girl!"

"Says the one shouting like an idiot, Squinty Eyes."

"We literally all have squinty eyes here, stupid!"

A loud cough was heard from the coach, signalling for the stubborn pair to stop. They apologised quickly and separated, but not before glaring at each other with fury.

Kenma rolled his eyes and made his way onto the court, placing himself in position to begin spiking practice first. His vision made his way to Asano and Lev Haiba, the new half Russian first year. They were talking animatedly, with his eyes sparkling as he looked at Asano's food.

He ruffled her peach coloured hair as she grumbled jokingly, as if he was the older one of the two. They were like small kids, laughing and messing around the corner of the gymnasium.

"Hey, Kenma," yelled out Yamamoto angrily. "Get your head in the game!"

He blushed slightly and let out a small 'Yeah" and let his head face downwards, forgetting that he was practising for a second. He took in a deep breath and began to throw the volleyballs over to the people spiking as Kuro yelled at the hot-headed team member.

"Kenma-senpai!" Lev said excitedly from his now closer position. "I'll definitely spike your toss this time!"

The blonde shook his head and looked straight at him. "Impossible."

"But Kenma-senpai -!"

"Impossible."

Lev sighed, but got his quirky attitude back together, ready to attempt hitting the ball. Kenma sucked in a short breath and threw the ball into the air, aiming as well as he could. He watched as the over-confident player missed it, then the next one and the one after that.

He was terrible at this.

"Again!" Lev gasped, catching his breath but the Coach shook his head and called for a break. He walked over to a bench and gulped down some water, sort of clinging to the older student like a barnacle on a ship. "Kozume-senpai, what class is Miruka-chan in? I haven't seen her in any of the first year classes. Does she have invisibility powers? Is she - !"

"She's a second year, dumbass," barked Taketora while trying to contain his laughter. "And she's coming over right now, so apologise!"

"Apologise to who?" questioned Asano, speak of the devil, somehow oblivious to Taketora's noise.

"That would be yourself here, Milk-sama," Kuro sniggered, getting a slap on the head from her. "Hey, that hurt! And the idiot here is the one with an apology."

"You?"

A booming chorus of laughter erupted from the team as the captain growled with anger. Lev chuckled, unfazed by the fact he'd just indirectly been called an idiot. "I'm deeply sorry for not respecting you as a younger student should, Asano-senpai!"

"Huh?"

Asano watched him blankly, chuckling softly and placing her hand on his shoulder. "It's fine, but just call me Miruka!" she groaned. "I'm not a fan of this formality. You too, Kenma-kun, we're friends - not acquaintances."

All attention was drawn to him now, who was drinking some water. He choked noisily when he realised all eyes were on him and spluttered recklessly, earning a few hard taps on the back from Kuro.

"Wait, you guys are friends?" asked Kai, the vice captain. "When did this happen anyways?"

Mumbles of agreement came from the other boys, looking at the confusedly. Asano and Kenma glanced at each other, blushing with embarrassment.

"WE MET AT MCDONALDS!" they shouted, which was unlikely sight. Their faces only became redder as they explained with difficulty, but avoiding the cosplay part. Everyone started to laugh, pointing fingers at them as they stuttered and mumbled sentences.

Coach Nekomata waved his hand in the air, signalling to stop and get back to practice.

This was going to take a long time.

• • •

hello! it is finally another update from the self titled procrastination queen! i've been writing this chapter over and over again because I wanted it to turn out as best as i could and since i am a huge perfectionist, i did after eight freaking days.

go me.

but other interesting news here, i've been mentioned to join the haikyuu watty awards from the account (thank you by the way) and have decided to do so! it's obviously entering the kozume kenma category so i would like to ask for you to vote for this story so i can win! this is my first ever competition i've entered here so i feel a little nervous but excited!

so please vote and comment so i can have maybe even the tiniest chance of winning? THANK YOU SO MUCH AND I LOVE YOU ALL!

also the fact that the other stories participating in the category literally have about few hundred votes so i'm actually thinking that i'm not gonna win after all ;-;

BUT WISH ME LUCK!

- michaela