chapter sixteen || cream coffee

chapter sixteen:  CREAM COFFEE

His eyes were just slightly bloodshot, from not playing video games all night, but thinking. Till it was two in the morning, he was for some odd reason contemplating on his life so far and what would come after. Be that as it may, his train of thought led to Miruka's past. It was day after the picnic, where they played games and just kept having fun post-confession.

Kenma let his feet slide on the tatami mat flooring into the tiled kitchen, where his mother had left a note. Quickly, he stuffed some ground coffee into the metallic machine, taking it up in his fingertips and letting out a sigh. Today was a coffee day, an unconscious decision. The cat was back again.

'Your father and I are on a business trip together - please stay safe!'

It was like this usually, his mornings. The whirling of a coffee machine, a stray he regularly conversed through glass because of his dislike for animals, the straightforward print written on pink paper and the scent of his washed uniform. They were always early, regardless of how late he slept, so he could always feel the crisp air prick at his bare arms.

The cat nudged against the window pane and Kenma glanced at the white cat, who mewled with annoyance. He moved to the sugar and cream, taking the jug filled with the bitter liquid and pouring some into a mug, adding the extra ingredients. The boy could never stand his coffee black - there had to be lots of cream and one sugar cube.

Then, he eyed the feline and stared at it emotionlessly.

What do you want now?

It hit its paw against the glass. It didn't stop glaring at him, their blue eyes poking at him. Oddly, it didn't make him uncomfortable. They just wanted them to make him talk from what he could gather.

"Leave," he whispered, shifting his view to the tiles. He had counted them many times, including the small ones, always adding up to seventy. The cat didn't budge.

"You can't stay here forever."

With that, the cat stopped pestering him as if he could clearly understand the high schooler, took one last glance, finally jumping off the ledge. Kenma never really understood why someone like him who never had a soft spot for animals could understand and communicate with them so easily.

They would be beginning the summer festival at Nekoma which would be held on the Thursday and Friday. Saturday, they cleaned up the aftermath then escaped back home to do whatever they wanted. The week after, exams would be held then it was the camp.

Hopefully, he wouldn't be chosen to be a class representative like last year. His lack of motivation definitely affected the class, but still carried out their craft stall.

Clearly, he could remember Miruka's enthusiasm when middle schoolers asked for her help. She was always good at art, specialising in the cutesy kind, but still held the ability to draw anatomy with precise measurements. The girl seemed like the better choice to be the class representative, but straws were drawn and he got the shortest one.

Somehow, she always ended up wherever he went.

The clock signalled for him to leave and so he placed his mug into the sink, washing it out then grabbing his messenger bag. He left, locking the door and stepping out of the gate to the road. The cat was nowhere to be seen.

Suddenly, his phone started to play the chirping noise, indicating that an orange haired 'crow' had messaged him. He tapped out his password, entering his messages and inwardly grinning.

aahhh!!!! i'm so excited for the training camp!! also good luck with your festival, we're having ours after the training camp!!!!

The text was predictable, yet funny. The overuse of exclamation points were in no way sarcastic - Shouyou probably had no idea what sarcasm was. Kenma stopped around the corner, finding a whistling Kuro who was waiting for him by the transmission pole.