chapter seventeen || honey lemon tea

chapter seventeen: HONEY LEMON TEA

The stress was getting to her. It felt like weight was pouring on to her shoulders yet it was already decided. It couldn't be helped; the workload kept her busy and gave her something to do after all. It was just so much.

Miruka typed away at her laptop, switching tabs and multitasking her work. It went from reading about animal shelters to managing the volleyball club's budget and finances, which wasn't so bad. Then there was the pet shop where it was bustling with people, as it was the middle of summer and people had free time.

Currently, she sat in front of the cash register, scanning items and occasionally glancing to an article on a dog shelter with furrowed eyebrows. She said thanks to her customer and saw them off, shifting to greet the next one immediately.

It was getting harder by the minute.

There were plenty of animal shelters willing to help them out with the festival and luckily, both of them being favoured and responsible students, Hotaru and herself managed to get the principal's approval.

Hotaru was a reliable guy and she was happy to work with him. He was taking care of the advertising, as well as the planning of their stall in general while she gathered the materials for him to work with. The class was getting involved quickly, enthusiastic about the animals joining them.

Except for Kozume Kenma.

She had noticed his dislike for animals immediately and his lack of participation when she mentioned it, so most of her attention went to him.

As her thoughts drifted to the boy, Miruka instantly remembered their designs for the cosplay at Comiket. She decided to scrap the idea and find another cosplay since he noticed his disinterest, keeping up a positive attitude. Opening up another tab, she searched up for more ideas.

"Miruka-chan," called out her sister in-law, Akira. "Switch with me and help Kagerou-kun with the shipments. Poor guy's never been good without his glasses — I think he's half blind."

The girl nodded and stifled a laugh when she made eye contact with her brother's best friend squinting at her. It seemed he could barely see Miruka, seeing as he definitely didn't notice her eyes crossed and fingers pulling around the corners of her mouth into a silly face. Sure she wore glasses herself, but they were never that strong.

"Hey, gamer girl," he snapped, irritable without his spectacles. "You better not make me trip over a kid or something. I don't want my leg to be broken too."

The 'gamer girl' smiled at him sympathetically and grabbed the sides of the box he was holding, guiding him to where they needed to be put. "Who's the culprit?"

"The college basketball team," he snarled, blowing away a piece of his hair. "They need to keep their balls or they'll get shoved up their — "

"Innocent impressionable teenage girls present!"

"Like you're so innocent."

"True."

They worked together in silence, occasionally talking about the direction they were going. Being an overworked college student, Miruka never bothered him much unless it was about a level she wanted him to clear or vice versa. He was the youngest out of Satsuki's group of friends, so they conversed easily.

Once they were done, she returned to her post, finding Akira had completely finished scanning all the customer's products, let them pay and sent them away, the store empty. She was a workaholic and a good one. Miruka found her reading her work.